Color Change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordoe

Reaction score
A few days ago i posted a thread about the color of my extract brew. I brewed a Belgian blonde and it came out really dark. It was like a copper color, almost brown with a red tint. People had informed me that I probably had but the extract in a bit early, the full boil. I wasnt upset, beer is beer. After a week in the primary, the color has changed. Not just a little. It is now about what I was expecting. Almost like a mustard color. Looks like when it clears up, it will be perfect. Is this possible? Can the yeast change the color, or is it just clearing up?

A few days ago i posted a thread about the color of my extract brew. I brewed a Belgian blonde and it came out really dark. It was like a copper color, almost brown with a red tint. People had informed me that I probably had but the extract in a bit early, the full boil. I wasnt upset, beer is beer. After a week in the primary, the color has changed. Not just a little. It is now about what I was expecting. Almost like a mustard color. Looks like when it clears up, it will be perfect. Is this possible? Can the yeast change the color, or is it just clearing up?

Sounds like the beer is just doing the normal clearing. It also happens to some of my All Grain batches.

Same thing happened with me. I think the colors look darker when there is suspended solids in the liquid. As the yeast chews up the by-products and things begin to settle I am sure more light can get in the beer and it looks lighter.
But that is just more of a guess than anything. I am sure someone has the right info.

When it turns blue, you know it's cold. :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist, but I won't be surprised to see the BMC guys come up with that.

most of the timeyou have hop particle in suspension, even when you filter. the yeast is in suspension as well.

they will clear and drop when they are done cleaning. my blondes are usually darker during the first few weeks of conditioning.

they turn out great!!!

I didn't catch your earlier post otherwise I would have mentioned this then. Adding extract early in the boil has little, if any, effect on color. The reason for adding extract late is for increased hop utilization.

Your beer will get "lighter" over time as particles fall out of suspension. Anything that reflects or blocks light in the beer will make it look darker. As these settle out and the beer clarity increases, it will lighten as well.

Back