Where to get one Gallon Glass Jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your one glass fermenters? I went to the HBS and they were over 5 bucks a piece... could not justify it. Where do you get yours?

Any craft stores or something that would have them?

I bought a few from the LHBS and they were $4.50 which doesn't seem too expensive to me, online they seem around the same not including shipping, and when I think about it, 5 for 4.50 each is just about the same cost as a local 5 gal carboy for $30 so it scales nicely :)

I buy them full of Carlo Rossi wine for $10, and invite a few friends for the gallon challenge.

Wow! You balk at a five dollar purchase? Probably cost more than that in gas money driving around looking for a better deal on the glass jug. I'm not sure this is the right hobby for you if the budget's that tight.

I recently used some plastic water jugs, 99¢ with the water, brewed 2 gallons of spruce beer and waiting for a JAOM. Best part is, I don't have to clean them! However, glass will be cheaper in the long run. I recently bought some used carboys and they came with a 1G jug that looked like it might have contained "Frank's Red Hot" as it has RED HOT written all over it, try a restaurant.

I too couldn't bring myself to buy a jug for $5.99, I will eventually pick up a heavier PTE plastic jug from the grocery store with some kind of juice in it, maybe fo rthe first batch, I'll just add yeast to whatever juice I buy and see how it turns out.

Wow! You balk at a five dollar purchase? Probably cost more than that in gas money driving around looking for a better deal on the glass jug. I'm not sure this is the right hobby for you if the budget's that tight.

I am looking to pick up 5 (now a $25 purchase) of them and have several things in the works... just being frugal dude. Plus i knew i could get apple juice in them for an additional 2 bucks a jug which is actually a great deal when you think about having to buy a batch of juice for apfelvein.

I just bought a fridge of CL and am converting that into a fermentation chamber, bought a temp control for it, building shelving inside the fridge, about to start my first wine (why i need 5 glass 1 gallon containers), two ciders (for which i already have 10 gallons of juice), and hopefully a beer as well. And to top it off i have a 6 month old child and now a stay at home mom so money is tighter than it used to be. But thanks for caring :mad:

1G jug that looked like it might have contained "Frank's Red Hot" as it has RED HOT written all over it, try a restaurant.

AHH! great idea on the red hot.. I was trying to think of what would come in glass like that...Thanks!

Try FreeCycle. I just scored a bunch of empty 1 gallon Carlo Rossi jugs a few weeks ago. Cost: $0. Of course, I had been on the lookout for something like that for over a year now so it may require quite a bit of patience...also, try taking an early morning walk on recycling day in your neighborhood...

My local Chinese restaurant has given me empty 3 to 4 liter glass rice wine jugs (some are green others are clear). Carlo Rossi jugs work well & can sometimes be procured from a restaurant. Whole Foods also normally carries their house brand of organic cider in 1 gallon glass jugs, here it runs about $7.00.

I often ferment in a 4 liter jug then secondary in a 1 gallon (3.75L) jug to account for trub loss, etc...

The recyclers? I drop of our trash and some recycling at our local transfer site. There is always a lot of 1 gallon wine jugs there. Usually no one cares if you grab some. 0$. Apparently I should grab more and sell them on craigslist or something :p

+1 for Carlo Rossi. Drink it fast though or it'll turn to vinegar.

According to some redneck at the LHBS the vinegar is great for killing weeds. He also said the best water to use is rain water.

I just got one from austin homebrew for a little over $4. They shipped it with some other stuff I ordered for the same flat rate shipping that they always do as well :)

I also have a carlo rossi jug but I like the handle on the jugs from AHS better. And with shipping, they are about the same price as a full jug of carlo rossi as well.

I bought apple juice from whole foods and made cider with it now I have 1 gallon jugs for whatever I want. wanna say they were like 5 or 6 bucks or something

Back