I got my Brewer's Notice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo82

Reaction score
It came in the mail today. Squam Brewing is officially a brewery! The TTB received my application on February 19, 2010 and it was approved on May 6, 2010. If anybody plans to be in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire in late June, look for my beer in stores. Or visit my website at www.squambrewing.com for location listings. Right now the site is just a place holder with very little information, but as soon as I get my labels approved and I get my Beverage Manufacturers License from the state I will update it.

There is no doubt in my mind that without HBT, this never would have happened. When I first stumbled across this site I was just a beginner extract brewer looking for advice. This site gave me the information and confidence to make the leap to all-grain. And thanks to the advice and wisdom of too many HBT members to list, I eventually decided to go "pro." I owe you all a debt of gratitude. Cheers! :mug:

Congratulations, and good luck! I'm from New Hampshire, and next time I'm up that way I'll try to pick up one of your brews (after you get them into the stores). I bookmarked your webpage... maybe a twitter or facebook account might be a good idea, to keep people informed? Again, good luck. I really like the small (nano) brewery approach, and the locals will definitely enjoy having fresh beer brewed in their neck of the woods.

Congratulations.

Unusual name you chose though, I did a search to find out what it meant and now I know why you did but I found some rather unappealing links with Squam in them while looking. :-(

Congratulations! I'll keep my eyes peeled next time I'm up in NH!

Congrats! That's awesome. I would be interested to hear what the requirements are for NH as I've looked into it here in Mass as a bit of a homework assignment for our HBC rather than having any real intention to do it.

The requirements for Mass-specifically were off the charts compared to the TTB application process so I'm curious how NH compares.

Congrats! i'm from southern NH so i'll have to find some in the store and give it a try. Another craft brew i can enjoy

Congratulations! I love that area - my wife is from VT and has a lot of family spread throughout NE. Next time we up that far I'll definitely look up some brew!!

Congratulations.

Unusual name you chose though, I did a search to find out what it meant and now I know why you did but I found some rather unappealing links with Squam in them while looking. :-(

That's interesting, do you think you could provide some of those unappealing links? Using a google search for "Squam" I haven't been able to find any. I'm really curious to see what you found.

The name itself may seem unusual to someone from New Jersey, but here in New Hampshire you'd be hard pressed to find someone who isn't familiar with the lake. It was the setting for the 1981 film "On Golden Pond." Since I will be self distributing locally around the lake, the name recognition will be a benefit. If I ever become a national brand, I may regret the name choice, but I doubt that's a legitimate concern ;)

Congrats! That's awesome. I would be interested to hear what the requirements are for NH as I've looked into it here in Mass as a bit of a homework assignment for our HBC rather than having any real intention to do it.

The requirements for Mass-specifically were off the charts compared to the TTB application process so I'm curious how NH compares.

Right now I'm waiting for the state to mail me the application package. I requested it last week and sent them a $100 check, so it should be coming any day now. Once I fill it out I'll let you know how it compares to the TTB application. From talking with other NH brewers, my understanding is that the NH Beverage Manufacturers License application is more of a formality than anything. The state figures that if you have complied with all the TTB requirements, you must be good to go. After several conversations with the NH Liquor Commission asking them what is involved for a state license, it sounds like this is the case. But I guess I won't know for sure until I get the application. We'll see.

Any chance of getting a tour of the barn/brewery if I come up?

Congrats!

Absolutely. The best time to come up would probably be a weekend when I'm brewing up a batch. PM me when you're thinking of making the drive up and I'll let you know if I'm planning to brew that day. Even if I'm not brewing, I'm always willing to give a tour to a fellow homebrewer :mug:

That's interesting, do you think you could provide some of those unappealing links? Using a google search for "Squam" I haven't been able to find any. I'm really curious to see what you found.

The name itself may seem unusual to someone from New Jersey, but here in New Hampshire you'd be hard pressed to find someone who isn't familiar with the lake. It was the setting for the 1981 film "On Golden Pond." Since I will be self distributing locally around the lake, the name recognition will be a benefit. If I ever become a national brand, I may regret the name choice, but I doubt that's a legitimate concern ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squamous_cell_carcinoma

Congratulations, and good luck! I'm from New Hampshire, and next time I'm up that way I'll try to pick up one of your brews (after you get them into the stores). I bookmarked your webpage... maybe a twitter or facebook account might be a good idea, to keep people informed? Again, good luck. I really like the small (nano) brewery approach, and the locals will definitely enjoy having fresh beer brewed in their neck of the woods.

The facebook account is a good idea. Yesterday I posted on my personal facebook page that I received my Brewer's Notice, but only my friends could see it. A dedicated account for Squam Brewing makes a lot of sense. Its going on my list of things to do. Thanks.

Ha, I'm familiar with squamous cell carcinoma (I think I first heard about it in an epidemiology course in college), but I'm just a bit surprised this is what popped up on a search engine looking for "squam." I suppose there are probably some people in the medical field that will make a negative association between my brewery and cancer, but I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of my potential costumers will make a positive association with the local lake. Its something I may want to consider if I ever decide to serve my beer at a medical conference :D

I'd like to try some out, any chance it'll be distributed to your neighbors in VT?

FYI - I just went to your website and my ZoneAlarm threw an alert saying it is a "suspicious" or malicious website.....might want to look into that.

I'd like to try some out, any chance it'll be distributed to your neighbors in VT?

No chance, at least in the near future. Interstate commerce requires me to fill out more paperwork, pay more fees, and deal with more headache. I haven't really looked too much into, just enough know that I wanted to check "No" on my application when asked. Also, since I'm self distributing, driving a few cases over the border wouldn't be very economical since I'd probably end up paying more for gas than I'd make. My max capacity starting out is 15 cases of 22 oz bottles per week. I can probably unload that to stores within a 20 mile radius. If I ever expand, I'm sure the neighboring states will be first, but I think its too soon in the game to be thinking about that.

Oh well, I'll be looking for it if I'm ever in the area or when you expand!! :mug: Oh and congrats!

Right now I'm waiting for the state to mail me the application package. I requested it last week and sent them a $100 check, so it should be coming any day now. Once I fill it out I'll let you know how it compares to the TTB application. From talking with other NH brewers, my understanding is that the NH Beverage Manufacturers License application is more of a formality than anything. The state figures that if you have complied with all the TTB requirements, you must be good to go. After several conversations with the NH Liquor Commission asking them what is involved for a state license, it sounds like this is the case. But I guess I won't know for sure until I get the application. We'll see.

Cool.. yeah, please let me know.

the Mass Beverage Manufacturers license pulls a sweet $6,000 charge with it along with the requirement to have a surety bond (more $$$) and about ninety different sub-committee approvals. It's not too friendly for the "little guy" trying to start out like you guys are.

Cool.. yeah, please let me know.

the Mass Beverage Manufacturers license pulls a sweet $6,000 charge with it along with the requirement to have a surety bond (more $$$) and about ninety different sub-committee approvals. It's not too friendly for the "little guy" trying to start out like you guys are.

The NH Beverage Manufacturer's license is $1200 per year. One committee that meets every other week approves them. I was told by the NH Liquor Commission to expect to wait 2-3 weeks after I mail in my application before i receive my license. Compare this to being told I would hear back from the TTB about my Brewer's Notice within 95 days and you can really see the difference. A lot of the paperwork I put together for the TTB I will need to submit to the State, but that's easy. I'm not sure what else they will need. PM me in a week or two if I haven't posted back here with the additional requirements (I might forget with everything that's going on now).

Good Job!! I am starting down that road out here in CA. Thanks for the inspiration!!:mug:

It came in the mail today. Squam Brewing is officially a brewery! The TTB received my application on February 19, 2010 and it was approved on May 6, 2010. If anybody plans to be in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire in late June, look for my beer in stores. Or visit my website at www.squambrewing.com for location listings. Right now the site is just a place holder with very little information, but as soon as I get my labels approved and I get my Beverage Manufacturers License from the state I will update it.

There is no doubt in my mind that without HBT, this never would have happened. When I first stumbled across this site I was just a beginner extract brewer looking for advice. This site gave me the information and confidence to make the leap to all-grain. And thanks to the advice and wisdom of too many HBT members to list, I eventually decided to go "pro." I owe you all a debt of gratitude. Cheers! :mug:

That's great! Congrats and good luck to you. This is exciting.

Ha, I'm familiar with squamous cell carcinoma (I think I first heard about it in an epidemiology course in college), but I'm just a bit surprised this is what popped up on a search engine looking for "squam." I suppose there are probably some people in the medical field that will make a negative association between my brewery and cancer, but I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of my potential costumers will make a positive association with the local lake. Its something I may want to consider if I ever decide to serve my beer at a medical conference :D

Not at all. I'm a virologists and honestly I never made the association. Squamous cells are good! They are a part of us, they are us :)

Good luck on your venture!!

So the brewery is in a barn? Is this on your own private land as well? If so, that's pretty cool. Not that I've looked at the requirements to start a brewery, but I didn't know you could brew in the privacy of your home and sell it. I guess I pictured having to rent/own a commercial space and a lot of other regulatory crap that would prevent that from being possible. That sounds like the "job" to have, brewing & selling from your own back yard. Talk about a dream come true! Congrats and good luck!

So the brewery is in a barn? Is this on your own private land as well? If so, that's pretty cool. Not that I've looked at the requirements to start a brewery, but I didn't know you could brew in the privacy of your home and sell it. I guess I pictured having to rent/own a commercial space and a lot of other regulatory crap that would prevent that from being possible. That sounds like the "job" to have, brewing & selling from your own back yard. Talk about a dream come true! Congrats and good luck!

The brewery is located in a barn on my parents property. You are correct though, you cannot brew beer in your home and sell it. All residential dwellings are off limits, but if you have a detached garage, barn, or other separate structure you MAY be ok. It depends on your local zoning laws. Also, I had to apply for a variance from the TTB due to the fact that the brewery was located in a residential area, and not in one that is commercially zoned.

If you're interested in reading up on the "regulatory crap" a good place to start is here http://www.ttb.gov/beer/qualify.shtml . They don't prevent a small brewery from obtaining a license, but they do make it a pain in the neck. To give you a recent example, one of the questions on the forms has to do with security. My brewery only has one entrance, which was a set of wooden doors with a padlock. During my recent interview with the TTB I was told that a wooden door isn't adequate security in a residential area (???). I replaced the door with a metal door, sent them some pictures, and the problem was solved. I can only guess what one would have to do to make a garage secure...

Congrats, and best of luck with this endeavor. I agree too with the above...even with your real website, go ahead and setup a facebook page just so you can use the "Fan" thing (i think they just changed it to "Like" pages though instead of being a fan) to spread the word for free, in a viral fashion. Facebook does have paid adverts too that I think can be pretty targeted by region.

either way, I manage a little page for my buddies tattoo shop and it only takes 1 post of a new tattoo per week to keep our name out there and new clients walking in.

Read about your brews from this forum and picked up a couple last weekend when I had to head north to play golf :) 24 degrees and 30 mph winds was the best I could get from the frostline. I visited one of your first store customers and enjoyed your bitter last night. Can't wait to try out the others. Hopefully after this storm melts and I play local on Sunday I'll open another.

Back