Fresh/Frozen vs. Canned Fruits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what most of Terry Geary's fresh or frozen fruit wines have about 3 lbs of fruit, but when it come to canned fruit, it is backed off to two 16 oz (2 lbs total). Does it have something to do with the canned stuff being kind of pulpy and that the water from the can is full of juice?

If I had to guess, I would say that the fruit that is canned is reduced somewhat by the cooking and canning process, so it would be stronger. While fresh or frozen fruit is "as is" and not reduced at all.
I would see it as my fresh tomatoes taste great, but my canned tomatoes are much richer and stronger in flavor, due to the cooking down and canning. does that make sense?

Okay, yeah. when you got me thinking about home canning, which my mother hasn't done in ages, even something like a good fresh peach tastes better when canned. Home canning, not factory canning.

Back