Unique sour taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigE

Reaction score
So I've been successfully brewing extract kits now for the past year and have been loving it. But now I have a problem.....the last three batches haven't turned out as nice. All the beer has a unique sour aftertaste to them. I'm confused as to what's going on....I think my auto siphon hasn't been performing up to par during bottling and wondering if the sour taste is due to oxidation while bottling. While I'm racking I'm noticing that there is a small air bulble that forms at the top of the racking cane exposing the beer to air as it flows from the top of the cane into the tube. Could this be causing the sour aftertaste? I'm a sanitatin freak so I'm confused as to what's going on. :confused:

Sour is generally caused by bacteria. You may be a sanitation freak (I am too) but it is possible you picked up an infection. If the beer tastes fine before bottling then it may be something with your bottling bucket or bottles themselves.

I get those air bubles all the time and have never been an issues.

Also, oxidation with cause beer to stale faster, and in extreme cases taste like wet cardboard, but wouldnt contribute sour flavors

check your 'hidden connections'

spigots on buckets, the spring mechanism on the bottling wand, other areas that might not always be visible but may need a good cleaning

check your 'hidden connections'

spigots on buckets, the spring mechanism on the bottling wand, other areas that might not always be visible but may need a good cleaning
+1 you may think everything is spic and span but I had a couple of beers taste "off" . Not batches but a couple of individual bottles...took my vinator apart and it had a small speck of mold up inside of it. Might not have been the culprit but you never know.

Back