• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Value of a converted keg mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a more beer 15 gal SS mash tun. I have a legal New Belgium keg thats been converted into a mash tun. It has a 1/2' ss nipple for the ball valve drain, a bazooka screen on the inside, and two 1/2' nipple ports (one on either side) for temp. Also has a brand new fermintap therm installed in one of those ports. Also comes with an aluminum lid. As well as it's currently insulated. Can anyone give me an appropriate asking price for this item. I can't find any currently on CL, there is one on e-bay but it's a P.O.S. Will probably post on my local CL due to weight & shipping cost. What should I be asking for this thing?

Well you can add up the cost and then minus 10-30% with it being used.

Say $50 for the keg, $40.00 for the thermometer, $20.00 for the screen. Its drilled so that helps. Minimum $100.00.

With craigslist its hit or miss depending on how big the home brew audience is in your area. The closer you are to a major city the better.

Easily $150. I sold a slightly dented keg with weld-less valve for $80 and a similar one with a sight glass for $100 with no haggling.

That hole looks nice, you've got the insulation, etc...

(I'd start at $200 and deal from there).

I would say $200 would be a fast sell. Higher if you have time and want to deal with hagglers.

Having said that, i bought THREE converted kegs WITH a sight glass AND a wort chiller AND burners for $225. The guy was done with brewing and wanted his garage back. Did I get a steal? YES. My real point is some times it's relative. Some guys think there time is valuable, they want parts plus labor making the cost high. Others guys (like mine) just want their garage back. I'd figure where you are on that continum. Can you wait it out for the money you want? Or is fast cash handy (and your space) handy? Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back