First time mead questions: Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
Okay, so I have a gallon of mead fermenting away. It's been about three weeks in the primary. I added some oranges and raisins to it yesterday and a cinnamon stick when I pitched the yeast. How long should I wait until I rack this into a secondary? Second question. How long should I leave the mead in the secondary? And lastly, I want to be able to drink this when I graduate college in December. Is that a realistic consumption date. I've heard of people aging this for years at a time. I just want to have something that will knock me and my friends on our asses and tastes pretty good. Thanks guys.

Ok, before the flamewar begins, I'm going to warn you not to post about making "something that will knock me and my friends on our asses." The members here will rip you a new one. We're here to make good tasting beverages, not fratboy fuel.

None of these questions can be answered accurately unless you have a hydrometer and take readings with it. I won't go into details on how to do that, a search in these forums or even google will work better for you. It's important to take accurate readings because it will tell you when you need to transfer to secondary, and if you bottle the mead too soon, it could continue fermenting and blow up like a grenade. Bad times. Get a hydro and post the gravity readings here. We can help you interpret them.

Based on normal mead recipes (which I assumed you followed) I would say this mead will not be ready by December. At the very least it will be done fermenting by then, which if you drink it at that point will result in very hot alcohol flavors, not too pleasant. A year aging time is always a good idea for meads.

Notwithstanding what Mr. Lynch wrote, I have made a mead that (unintentionally) knocked me and most of my friends "on our asses". It took me 18 months to get that simple mead (just honey, water, yeast and DAP) to taste anything like civilization.

I have also seen recipes where a mead might be at about 6 - 8 percent ABV, and be ready in 3 - 4 months.

I guess what I'm saying is that high alcohol content and quick times are mutually exclusive. If you want something quick, try grape juice and EC-1118. That should be ready in time for Christmas, and be sure to have some money for a cab.

Latest posts

Back