Wyeast American Ale Quick Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cackxt

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA on wednesday morning. Used a Wyeast American Ale smack pack that had been started on Monday evening. The pack was definitely raring to go, as it looked like it would burst. So I pitched the yeast at 11:30am at approx 73F. I fermented in a plastic fermenting bucket in my basement with ambient temps of 73F wednesday, 72F thursday, and 70F friday. Today when I woke up to check everything the temp had dropped to 68F and there is no activity in the airlock (we have run into a pretty nice cold front), and the kreusen has fallen back into the beer.

Now I am definitely not worried about the quick ferment, just curious as to what others would do at this time. Is it too quick to rack into the secondary? I usually follow the 1-1-3 rule so should I just let is sit for another 5 days? Suggestions are very much appreciated.

To all those brewing today, Brew Big!

Edit: Grammar.

Just let it sit.

I was wondering where the nice weather went: 95F today and tomorrow. Hop Hounds in the noon day sun at Hop Madness.

Back