sour taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so I've been brewing for 5 months now and I thought I had everything down, but lately my last few batches have become sour after bottling(They taste great up until that point). As far as I know there isn't anything I've changed except for the fact that I'm washing everything with PBW before I sanitize. Now I rinse after using PBW so I don't think it's the problem but maybe I'm not rinsing enough. Any ideas what the solution could be?

so I've been brewing for 5 months now and I thought I had everything down, but lately my last few batches have become sour after bottling(They taste great up until that point). As far as I know there isn't anything I've changed except for the fact that I'm washing everything with PBW before I sanitize. Now I rinse after using PBW so I don't think it's the problem but maybe I'm not rinsing enough. Any ideas what the solution could be?

Have you brewed anything lately using Brett? Lambic, perhaps? If so, you may have some bugs in your system somewhere. Even if you haven't used any Brett cultures, you could still have some unwanted bacteria in your tubing or buckets or whatever.

I would change out tubing, wash all valves or spigots and give everything else a good long soak in Star-San.

My dad had the same thing. It turns out a fruit fly got into the beer. Apparently its pretty common around here. It makes it go vinegary

"Sour" to me signals lacto infection. I'd suggest getting rid of all plastic items (tubing, buckets, etc) and bleach-bombing any glass items and starting over. It may be in the bottling equipment, since it appears after bottling, but it could be just that it takes a few weeks to be able to taste it so it could be anywhere.

Back