Ancient yeast revived, amazing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably not, but looks like it worked for the Inca. I just find it incredible that they could recover viable cells after all this time, it's not like it was frozen or anything.

I’m betting that Dogfish Head agents are on a plane with blank petri dishes on their way to Ecuador right now.

"These findings confirm 16th-century reports of how indigenous people in the Ecuadorian Andes fermented their chicha. According to Spanish chroniclers, Inca Indians initiated fermentation using animal bones, human saliva and even human feces."
"The most closely related species to C. theae are C. orthopsilosis, C. metapsilosis and C. parapsilosis, all of which are found in human saliva and feces," Carvajal says. Indeed he found human-associated C. parapsilosis, along with C. tropicalis, among the community of yeast in the ancient fermentation vessels. C. parapsilosis is the second-most commonly isolated pathogenic species of Candida infecting people. "Also [there are] the Crytococcus saitoi and C. laurentii that are related to respiratory diseases. They [the Quitus] were chewing and spitting the corn [into the fermentation vessels], so we can assume this population probably had some respiratory problems caused by pathogenic yeasts."

YUCK...my oh my have we come a long way.

I’m betting that Dogfish Head agents are on a plane with blank petri dishes on their way to Ecuador right now.
He's got a two day head start on you, which is more than he needs. Calagione's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the yeast already.

Anyone see the recipe for modern "chicha" on the second page of the second article? Looks like it has potential. Not beer, of course, but could be interesting. Even if the yeast is no good for modern brewing, fascinating article either way.

HerbieHowells said:
He's got a two day head start on you, which is more than he needs. Calagione's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the yeast already.

The yeast was in a grail of sorts!

gotta love indiana jones!

And he speaks French . . . in German.

Back