Leaky keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinJoe

Reaction score
I have a full keg that I believe one of the seals went bad on, I went out and got new seals to rebuild another one but can I transfer a partial keg after it has been carbonated? How is the best way to do this? Thanks

Joe

I have a full keg that I believe one of the seals went bad on, I went out and got new seals to rebuild another one but can I transfer a partial keg after it has been carbonated? How is the best way to do this? Thanks

Joe

Create yourself a beverage line to beverage line QD hookup. This video explains this (and more) much better than I can:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUTilS4YJO8]Keg to Keg transfer - YouTube[/ame]

Here's another going from sanke style to corny. (I've done this myself and it works great.) [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnxglYsU9cM]Transfering from Commercial keg to Cornelius keg - YouTube[/ame]

You can transfer with a length of beer line with black ball locks on each end.

Purge the empty keg with CO2 and pressurize to 5 PSI.
Vent the full keg, then pressurize to 5 PSI.
Connect the two ball locks to the beer out on both kegs.
open the vent on the empty keg and the beer will begin to flow.

That's it.

Joe

Sure, you can transfer to another keg. When it's carbed up, it's easiest to do it with what I call a "keg jumper cable". What I do is take two black quick disconnects, and connect them with a 5-6' length of beer line. Shorter is fine, but you don't want to move the first keg so it has to be long enough to reach the second keg.

Give a blast of co2 to the receiving keg and remove the gas line. Turn down your regulator on the first keg to about 2-5 psi, or just enough to push the beer. Put one black QD on the "out" post of the first keg. Pull the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg, and put the other black QD on the "out" post. The beer should start flowing. Keep pulling the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg to keep the beer flowing.

That's it! It took me longer to type it than it does to actually do it.

I like to do this when I'm taking a keg to a party and want only clear beer without sediment. If you don't move the first keg, you won't transfer any sediment and have only nice clear carbonated beer in the "new" keg.

How's that for help, 3 great thorough answers at the same time. I love this place.

Back