Caps made for twist off style bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shohog

Reaction score
I do like many beers that unfortunately have twist off caps but I generally avoid them so I buy only the brands with pop off caps so I can use them for my homebrews. I have seen numerous times to never use this kind for home brews because the bottle capper will not give a good seal with normal bottle caps.

Any way to reuse the twist off type bottles?

It depends on what type of capper you use. I have the large adjustable bench capper which works fine for me with twist offs. If you're using a wing type capper you might have some problems because the bottles don't have the proper ridge for the capper to clamp on to. Even with my bench capper I notice that the twist off bottles get worn down quickly and I usually replace them after 2 batches.

As long as the bottle has the 'lip' around the tip of it, it should work just fine with a wing capper (which is what the majority of us use for bottling). For example, this will work OK.

gentile Bottle.jpg

This one would need a bench capper.

jewish bottle.jpg

If you're using a wing type capper you might have some problems because the bottles don't have the proper ridge for the capper to clamp on to.

You can use twistoffs (with caveats); as the others have noted, it's the shape of the flange at the bottom of the bottle crown that is the immediate problem. This picture illustrates with poptops but you'll get the idea:

wingcapper.jpg

Get a bench capper and leave no bottle behind.
Well except for those funky Belgian beer bottles with the non cappable top.

I still avoid the twist tops because the part the seals is much lighter and does not seem to hold that well. It should work but I avoid them any ways. Its not hard as there are very few beers that come in twist offs that I really want any ways.

Craig

Latest posts

Back