What to look for in a Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pi Kapp Beer Guy

Reaction score
Ok somthing like $100 for a 18 Cubic foot Freezer. Ok so i dont know about the demensions but thats what they have posted in the classifieds. I'm checking this thing out tomorow and i know about as much about freezers as i do about surgery. Is there anything i should look for? I mean i know it should run and by the one picture it seems farley new or at least in great shape. Well I know i will get fast responses but i'm excited because i have been searching for a deal in my area, its my birthday so what better opportunity. yeah i'm so tired of bottling beer.:drunk:

super find! I paid that for a (nearly brand new) 7.5 cu foot one a few months ago I found on Craigs' List.
Basically its pretty simple. Plug 'er in, to see that it still works (more likely than not, it will be plugged in when you get there) -but if not, plug it in while you have a chat with the dude, and by then you will know if its cooling -or if its making sounds that seem unhealthy (you know, loud noises or scraping, etc). If it doesn't look like its been rusted out inside or out, and doesn't produce smoke, you SHOULD be in pretty good shape!! There really isn't much to them. As a general rule, they either work or they don't (at least thats been MY experience. I've owned a few upright freezers, and one chest).

yeh, i would say if you plug it in and it makes noise, you're good to go.

The truth of the matter here is that you are getting a huge steal. I actually got the same deal on CList - 18 cu ft for $100. Expect it to break in less than a year and if it doesn't, you got the deal of the century. (Mine is still trucking after 4 months FWIW).

Damn. You twisted screws beat me to the "dead body" punch.
Bought mine used. $60. CL sounds like a good place to start. "Either works or it don't." True dat! No need to worry your purty lil mouth about the temp controller as you'll be supplying your own.

If I were in SC, I'd be making my way to who evers house to steal this out from under you! Good Score. When you get it, make sure you post it up here somewhere, just to make everybody jealous, they LOVE it!

yeah o'm going back to pick it up. Turns out that a 18 cubic foot freezer wont fit in my mothers extera. Oh and by the way only one midget body so that was eay to dispose of.
Hats off to my mother as well because she talked the man down to $75.

Make some cardboard templates of the footprint of a cornie (approx 9" diameter) and see what kind of keg capacity you have, if you're using it for a kegerator that is.

I got a very nice 7.2 cu ft chest freezer and a mini fridge for 35$ on CL. They are both nice, but the chest freezer will only hold 2 cornies....3 if I retrofit it with a collar:mad:. I think I may just use it for lagering.

Back