no c02 until Friday....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
Just complaining here... the place I take my tank to get refilled is out of c02 until Friday, they think. I wanted to put a porter on gas tonight too. Guess it'll have to wait a couple more days. :mad:

I might see a bigger c02 tank in my future. :ban:

So, I was forced to get a 6er of two hearted until then. Forgot how tasty this stuff is...

Bummer. I see that you're in Leesburg, I work in Frederick MD (not too far from you up 15) and use United Oxygen for my tanks. Worth a look if you're other place doesn't come thru...

I've swapped both a 20lb and a 5lb with them in the last few months.

Bummer. I see that you're in Leesburg, I work in Frederick MD (not too far from you up 15) and use United Oxygen for my tanks. Worth a look if you're other place doesn't come thru...

I've swapped both a 20lb and a 5lb with them in the last few months.

Good looks man. I'll check them out. Do they do a swap or will they fill your tank?

know the feeling, my main kegerator tank ran out, immediately followed by my 20lb (used normally for bottling) - LUCKILY I keep a secondary 5lb'er for my traveler that has now been put into the kegerator to carb up my xmas brew (Busch Noel)

I've gotta get mine refilled asap cause I know my traveler is getting low as well

Can't go wrong with a 20lb CO2 tank. I purge out Oxygen like a madman and my last tank lasted 8 months, plus I keep a spare 20lb tank. Purge for days...

Good looks man. I'll check them out. Do they do a swap or will they fill your tank?

I've only ever swapped tanks with them, but they might fill? The 20lb I swapped is in decent shape and the 5lb (I swapped a week ago) is a brand new shiny tank from Airgas. Give them a call - http://www.unitedoxygen.com/.

I've had a great experience with them, they welcome homebrewers and for what it's worth I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer. The other plus is that they're literally in Flying Dog's backyard so you can pop over there for a tour if you time it right!

I've only ever swapped tanks with them, but they might fill? The 20lb I swapped is in decent shape and the 5lb (I swapped a week ago) is a brand new shiny tank from Airgas. Give them a call - http://www.unitedoxygen.com/.

I've had a great experience with them, they welcome homebrewers and for what it's worth I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer. The other plus is that they're literally in Flying Dog's backyard so you can pop over there for a tour if you time it right!

Nice! Yea once I saw they were in Fredrick that's exactly what I thought. Lol. I'll check em out, thanks man!

I bought a 20 oz paintball tank for ~$30 Dick's Sporting Goods, it's $4.50 to refill it and the first fill is free. I bought an adapter so that I can use a standard regulator with it. It's great as a backup tank, a purging tank, and a tank for bringing kegs to parties. My main 10lb tank stays in the keezer but I've found a ton of use for the little guy and it cost very little. I would like a second 10 lb tank as a true backup though.

I use the big one.......... the monster that is so heavy it's all I can do to lift it...It weighs just under 200 pounds full. It serves me to force carbonate as well as serving as a welding tank. It's the cheapest way to go, but you don't drag that monster into the kitchen ;-) In addition, I use 24 ounce paint ball tanks that lay right in the fridge with my toy kegging system (Tap-a-Draft). I bought an adaptor to fit the paint ball tank, and drilled and tapped it to 1/4 female NPT so I could screw right into the regulator without all the length you get with an adaptor. I use a welding regulator I had on hand. You can get a mini regulator that screws right onto paintball tanks from Williams Brewing for around $60.

Paintball tanks cost me $25 for a 24 ounce bottle with the first fill, and $4.00 per fill. They fill at the sporting goods store while you wait.... just a few minutes. I have 4 of them because I live a long way from town.

The big bottle is incredibly cheap to fill considering the volume of CO2....$45. I can also get a siphon tank at the same price and use it to fill smaller bottles. Bottle rent is $9 a month. $380 for a lifetime lease on the big bottle or $9 a month lease... a bit under 4 years to break even.

H.W.

I use the big one.......... the monster that is so heavy it's all I can do to lift it...It weighs just under 200 pounds full. It serves me to force carbonate as well as serving as a welding tank. It's the cheapest way to go, but you don't drag that monster into the kitchen ;-) In addition, I use 24 ounce paint ball tanks that lay right in the fridge with my toy kegging system (Tap-a-Draft). I bought an adaptor to fit the paint ball tank, and drilled and tapped it to 1/4 female NPT so I could screw right into the regulator without all the length you get with an adaptor. I use a welding regulator I had on hand. You can get a mini regulator that screws right onto paintball tanks from Williams Brewing for around $60.

Paintball tanks cost me $25 for a 24 ounce bottle with the first fill, and $4.00 per fill. They fill at the sporting goods store while you wait.... just a few minutes. I have 4 of them because I live a long way from town.

The big bottle is incredibly cheap to fill considering the volume of CO2....$45. I can also get a siphon tank at the same price and use it to fill smaller bottles. Bottle rent is $9 a month. $380 for a lifetime lease on the big bottle or $9 a month lease... a bit under 4 years to break even.

H.W.

hmmmmm... a lot to think about here. Thanks. I might have to get one of the little paintball guys.
.... Add yet another thing to my every growing list of brewing stuff to buy....

Back