Ithaca Brewery Cascazilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
One of my favorite summertime drinks is Ithaca's cascazilla. I'm still brewing with kits and I was wondering if anybody could give me an educated guess on whether or not I could use a doctored up True Brew Red Ale kit to make something similiar? Unfortunately I can't find anything that tells exactly what comes in the kit.

The name CascaZilla is a play on both the name of our local Cascadilla Gorge and the monster amounts of Cascade hops in this beer. This red ale gets its distinctive color from a healthy portion of caramel malt, which also lends some body and sweetness to the beer. The predominant flavor and aroma of this beer, however, is brought to you by the fresh American hops. If you haven't done so yet, treat yourself to Ithaca Beer's new monstrously hoppy Red Ale.

Original Gravity 14.5P
Alcohol Content 6.5%
Malt 2-Row Brewers, Caramel 60
Hops Amarillo, Cascade, Chinook, Crystal

My brother's been bothering me to come up with a recipe so here it is.

I'm not familiar with the kit you mentioned but here's the all-grain recipe I was going to use when I got around to brewing this. Might be your time to go all-grain. :)

I never got around to brewing it because I was having a tough time getting a hold of the hops in it. That, and I prefer darker and heavier beers in the winter.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: CascaZilla
Brewer: Chris
Asst Brewer:
Style: Irish Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.56 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 13.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 71.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
0.50 oz Chinook [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 19.3 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [7.60 %] (60 min) Hops 48.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.60 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 3.75 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

bigjohnmilford said:
What are you a salesman? Just kidding, I've had it and it's pretty good. But I'm a hop head.

I wish I was a beer salesman. Actually I only live 30 miles from the brewery and I've become a big fan of their beer. Since you are a hophead I would suggest trying their Flowerpower and Double IPA.

nyer said:
I wish I was a beer salesman. Actually I only live 30 miles from the brewery and I've become a big fan of their beer. Since you are a hophead I would suggest trying their Flowerpower and Double IPA.

I don't recall seeing either at our local big liquor store. But I wasn't looking. I think I had there brown and recall it being pretty good. Have a good one :mug:

I just got an email from ithaca they are raising their prices so buy a case or two while its still a little cheaper. Damn the hop and malt situation.

some of those cascades are grown in flint NY. sorry I haven't had cascazilla in quite a while so I cant help with the recipe.

I'm in canandaigua where are you guys?

Wow... Ithaca has changed. I went to college at IC from 1990-1994. The biggest news I recall was when Cristianos closed up shop in the commons. Wish there was a brewery to visit back in the day...

nyer said:

:off:

where abouts... I grew up in Watkins Glen and my parents moved to the west hill of Ithaca like 7 years back.

sirsloop said:
:off:

where abouts... I grew up in Watkins Glen and my parents moved to the west hill of Ithaca like 7 years back.

I live just outside of Seneca Falls. If you visit Ithaca you should swing over to Watkins Glen, there is a great little brewery in Town called Roosterfish Brewery. They have very good beer.

I highly recommend trying any of Ithaca's Excelsior beers to anyone who can get your hands on them. The brewery started putting out these ultra-high quality, bottle conditioned ales last spring. The IPAbbey hybrid was truly the nectar of the gods.

I've moved on from Ithaca, though, and now find myself among the hop fields of Eugene, Oregon. However, I miss those 6 dollar growler fills.

nyer said:
I live just outside of Seneca Falls. If you visit Ithaca you should swing over to Watkins Glen, there is a great little brewery in Town called Roosterfish Brewery. They have very good beer.

Lol... I was class of '99 at Watkins Glen HS! HAHAH! We call the place the "Bent Cock" :mug: I've spent lots of time shooting darts and pool there... and enjoying the open windows in the front. Lol... then we walk out trashed and I wave into the WG police department windows at all my friends from HS that now work there. HAHAH!! :p

sirsloop said:
Lol... I was class of '99 at Watkins Glen HS! HAHAH! We call the place the "Bent Cock" :mug: I've spent lots of time shooting darts and pool there... and enjoying the open windows in the front. Lol... then we walk out trashed and I wave into the WG police department windows at all my friends from HS that now work there. HAHAH!! :p

The pool table is long gone but thats ok, the beer makes up for it. I really liked their beer when I first found the place, now it's even better. They have a great double ipa, nut brown and hefeweizen. They are supposed to be opening up some kind of beer bar or something in the old firehouse down the street.

Lol... the firehouse down on 2nd street?? I used to get tore up with buddies and watch PPV's there...lol... among other things ;) ;) ;) Memorieeesssss!! HAA! They had some nice brown leather couches there. I gotta get back to WG sometime and hit up some wineries!

sirsloop said:
Lol... the firehouse down on 2nd street?? I used to get tore up with buddies and watch PPV's there...lol... among other things ;) ;) ;) Memorieeesssss!! HAA! They had some nice brown leather couches there. I gotta get back to WG sometime and hit up some wineries!

I don't know the name of the street, if you walked out of Roosterfish and turned left it's supposed to be a few blocks down on the left side. I guess it's going to be some kind of a beer tasting bar. I don't know all the details yet. I'm looking forward to checking it out when it finally opens.

killian said:
anyone ever had any earl estates mead. that is some tasty stuff!

I haven't had theirs, we get it from Montezuma Winery in Seneca Falls (wife works there), they supply the mead at the Sterling Renessance Festival. It's nice having over 30 wineries an hour's drive, it would be nicer having 30 breweries though.

Since you ar in Canandaigua I'm sure you've downed a few pints at McGregor's, I love that place.

Anyone been to Wagner Winery in Lodi, NY? They have some award winning bock beers there. Not my cup of tea exactly, but it's another brewery to check out. Oh, did I mention that? They have a brewery on site too.

Wagner has a few pretty good beers. I used to get their champagne wit by the keg until they stopped making it. The brewer is a really nice guy. They have a huge deck overlooking the lake and on Friday nights during the summer they have a band and they sell beer and wine. It'd pretty cool.

Yeah, Ithaca beers helped pushed me towards the way of the beer snob. Haven't had Cascazilla in a while...

Killian, ever go to Custom Brewcrafters in Honeoye Falls?

We go to Custom Brewcrafters as often as possible. We also like Rohrbach's and Middle Ages in Syracuse. I guess I'm kind of lucky, my wife loves good beer too so we hit the local micros as often as we can. Actually maybe I'm not so lucky because she hoardes her favorites on me.
Have you been to the Tap and Mallet yet? They keep a cask beer on hand at all times.

Been to Rorhrbach's too and even got a tour cause my buddy was shipping out to Iraq soon. The assistant brewer was an awesome guy. Also when in Syracuse, gotta check out the Blue Tusk. Great draft selection.

skeeordye11 said:
Been to Rorhrbach's too and even got a tour cause my buddy was shipping out to Iraq soon. The assistant brewer was an awesome guy. Also when in Syracuse, gotta check out the Blue Tusk. Great draft selection.

I'm going to Syracuse tomorrow for some kind of event. All I know is I paid $5 and we walk from bar to bar and each place is supposed to give me a different flavored martini. We are definately hitting the blue tusk, clark's ale house and Al's for beer. My wife is sampling cosmos for $5. I figured for the price if I don't like martini's (never had one) it's no huge loss and I know where the beer's at.

When going to Rohrbach's if you get lucky the brewer might have made his own personal brew and sometimes you just might get a sample. We struck up a conversation about our love for IPA's and he disappeared out back and brought us full glasses of his latest personel experiment. He was a really cool guy.

I go to CB's often their new location looks like it will be nice. I really like rhorbach's, the head brewer there is a really nice guy also.

I actually went to a few places about a month ago in rochester and drank all of the cask conditioned beer I could get my hands on. at monty's corner I had CB's cream porter, at monty's crown I had rhorbach's harvest ale. at the old toad I had rhorbach's scotch ale and a barley wine (that is when things got a little hazy) I also had some thing poured from a bar top pin ??? I cant remember what it was. and at the tap and mallet I had something cask conditioned. I think I might need to take that lap again soon and stick to one pint per cask. the old toad and the tap and mallet are by far the best though. I love cask conditioned ale!!! any one got a pin they want to donate?

I started off the martini event at Clark's Alehouse with a cask IPA from Middle Ages. After that it was all downhill drinking martini's, they were ok I guess. We finished the day at Al's with a couple of different IPA's and a belgian wit. The beer was definately better than the martini's.

I'm dredging up an old thread here. But, has anyone ever tried this recipe? Thinking of trying it as my first all-grain.

Just tried this or the 1st time and looking to clone. Not sure this recipe is it. Any suggestions.

Back