Waste drinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibaru

Reaction score
Being a complete novice at this I would appreciate some advice. As I understand it yeast is used to ferment sugars into alcohol. Would it be possible to ferment the "sugars" in fizzy drinks to alcohol?

Yes, it would be possible if the drink did not have preservatives in it. Some people have tried it (I think one person did Mountain dew). I believe it's not good tasting, though! It's easier and better tasting to just add vodka to the fizzy drink.

I may soon have a large quantity that I would have to pay disposal costs on. I will also soon have a large ammount of free heat available. I was toying with the idea of fermenting and distilling. If it's not good for drinking, I maybe could run my car on it?

depends on the drink. High Fructose Corn Syrup probably isn't nearly as fermentable as the pure cane sugar that some fizzy drinks use.

I'm not touching your distilling inquiry with a 10 foot pole...

High fructose corn syrup is very fermentable. It's about half fructose and half glucose, and is similar to the basic sugar makeup of honey.

Homedistillers.org is the forum you want, not this one for that type of, "experiment"

This is starting to look like the UHMG, (Underage Hootch Makers Gambit)

I have no way of knowing if the OP is his claimed age or not.

YES, yeast will eat the sugars and make alcohol. It'll probably taste like crap. If you're of age, you'll be much better off hitting up the liquor store for bargain hooch; if you're a kid, you're not going to impress the ladies with fermented Kool-Aid.

If you're interested in distillation, that's for another forum.

Anyone have anything else to add?

Sorry.

This thread will cause more problems than it solves if it is left open.
This is an homebrewing forum not a distilling forum and it's not a hooch forum.
Please feel free to read and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back