Are there any hops you actually dislike?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mosaic .. did a pale ale that mosaic was the only hop. Tasted like peach beer ... I like peaches but not in my beer.

That's crazy ...I just finished off my mini keg of sour peach ale dry hopped with Mosaic. It may not be for everyone, I could see that. I really like it.

Bought an elbow of Sterling and did a 2 row SMaSH. Yeah...anyone want the rest of my Sterling? :)

Hmm. I love sterling! Its a very underrated hop that adds complexity to american and continental beers. I don't know what an elbow is, but I love me some sterling if you're looking to unload it.

maybe its better suited as part of a recipe and not a star on its own. I found it astringent, almost medicinal. Maybe i got a bad batch, that's also possible. I wont be buying it again, but hey, that was the point of that smash experiment. Id call that a success.

Duckrabbit Schwarzbier. I don't know what combo of hops they use all I know is it is a combo of Noble. Beer tastes like sour milk blended with coffee. Absolutely hate it, I enjoy the Schwarzbier's from Germany tho.

Duck Rabbit has some major quality control issues. You may have gotten beer from a sour batch. I work at a craft beer store and we have gotten a handful of sour cases and kegs from them.

That's crazy ...I just finished off my mini keg of sour peach ale dry hopped with Mosaic. It may not be for everyone, I could see that. I really like it.

On a different note I had Sam Adams Lattitude 48 Hopology made with Mosaic. I like it but I do not believe Mosaic is the front runner as it was in my beer. I will say I don't "hate" the hop just dislike it as a single hop beer ;) Everyone I let try it said "PEACH!!!!!"

Add me to the Fuggle hater crowd. Never had a beer that has Fuggles that I enjoyed (that I'm aware of). I can see how some would enjoy the flavor, but it does taste like dirt. For instance, if you like beets, or mushrooms, then you probably like Fuggles.

I don't really care for Sorachi Ace, but they probably have their place - just shouldn't ever be the star of the show (I taste the dill that folks talk about). I don't like Nelsons either. Too grapey. This is based mostly on Widmer's Nelson IPA. Though I get a lot of this type of flavor from most NZ hops. But I have done several light "American Wheat" style beers using a single NZ hop and enjoy them (Moteuka in one, Pacifica in one, Pacific Jade in another). I can only describe it as a candy-like sweetness. My experience with NZ hops has also taught me that hop descriptions are subjective (i.e. I have never tasted the "black pepper" in Pacific Jade hops).

I'm not one to not like hops because they are popular or over used (i.e. Cascade, Simcoe or Citra). In fact, I really enjoy Citra and make a pale that is exclusively Citra, but not overly hopped. Bring on the mango, but moderation is key. Chinook I enjoy if used properly (especially in combo with Columbus in a rye PA or IPA). I think the dankness of Columbus really smooths out the pine of the Chinook, throw in some Cascades and you have a delicious beer.

Speaking of hops I love - Saphir. Made a blonde ale using all german ingredients except for the yeast (US-05) with Saphir as a flavor and aroma hop...fantastic. I only mention because it is currently on tap.

I think a lot of hop hate-ness comes from overhopping. I love a good hoppy IPA (I think Sculpin is the perfect IPA - for reference) and brew mostly american pales and IPAs, but the focus on bigger and bigger beers may actually do a disservice to certain hop varieties.

I have never really experienced the cat-piss phenomenon, except in young, green beer. Then again, while people claim you should drink IPAs young, I have never made an IPA that is really really good with melded flavors until 2 months out (if dry hopped). Until that time, I can always distinguish flavors ("that is the flavor of munich malt in my IPA" "the Simcoe is really strong"). Beer needs time to come together.

Also, add me to the list of cilantro haters.

Now someone add up all the data and do a statistical analysis!

Edit: I should also include very discernible palates as reasons people may not like certain hops.

Resurrecting...

I hate Calypso. I've tried to like it, but it tastes like bitter granny smith apple skins to me. Maybe good in a mix with others, but just not good by itself. I have almost two pounds of the crap - the only hops so far that I feel I have wasted money on. I can't bring myself to use it in another beer...

Also hate Summit - tastes like onions to me. I have an IPA bittered with it from over a year ago - it is "savory" ;-)

I have a love/hate relationship with Chinook. I love the taste in late additions, but it is WAY too harsh in early additions (especially with high sulfate water). Works well with other C hops late and dry hopping though.

So would you pair Chinook with Citra as a dry hop combo?

Not too keen on Fuggles. Will probably get razzed for this but I'm kinda getting burnt out on Citra too. I find I have to put very little at flameout or dry hop to get just enough for me to like it. Otherwise.. Too much. I completely dislike Santiam as well.

.Then again, while people claim you should drink IPAs young, I have never made an IPA that is really really good with melded flavors until 2 months out (if dry hopped). Until that time, I can always distinguish flavors ("that is the flavor of munich malt in my IPA" "the Simcoe is really strong"). Beer needs time to come together.

This. I love my IPAs 4 or 5 months once the keg is about to kick or the bottles are almost gone. Pale ales even need some time for me to fall in love…

MonkHeDo said:
Duck Rabbit has some major quality control issues. You may have gotten beer from a sour batch. I work at a craft beer store and we have gotten a handful of sour cases and kegs from them.

+1 I got a 6 pack that was so overcarbed I got 1/3 of a glass from each pour.

I still have almost a pound of northern brewer hops I can't quite stomach. The minty notes just put me off.

I like some more that others but I have not determined that any particular hop is a problem. 45+ brews and have not disliked any of them.

I have never tried Fuggles so I can't put myself on one side or the other there.

Two of note were Nugget and Chinook. I made a Maris Otter/Nugget SMaSH and enjoyed it. And brewed the Northern Brewer recipe of Chinook IPA and liked it also.

Someone mentioned Galena on it's own. I hope it is OK since I used it for bittering my Pumpkin Ale today. .75oz at 60 minutes. It was a substitute for Cluster.

I like Citra, but a little goes such a long way. I have yet to try Kern river's Citra Dipa, but I kinda feel like it would be too much with how I like a little/dislike a lot of Citra!

I did a coconut IPA and a grapefruit IPA with mosaic mixed in with other hops. My grapefruit IPA soured.... First out of like 40 batches!! Pissed, but the Coconut IPA turned out quite nice!
I love peach so maybe I'll try to use a bit more of it in a few things to play with it!

I like some more that others but I have not determined that any particular hop is a problem. 45+ brews and have not disliked any of them.

I have never tried Fuggles so I can't put myself on one side or the other there.

Two of note were Nugget and Chinook. I made a Maris Otter/Nugget SMaSH and enjoyed it. And brewed the Northern Brewer recipe of Chinook IPA and liked it also.

Someone mentioned Galena on it's own. I hope it is OK since I used it for bittering my Pumpkin Ale today. .75oz at 60 minutes. It was a substitute for Cluster.

I love galena as a bittering hop. Never used it as a flavor/aroma hop though. I actually prefer it to magnum or warrior for my IPAs because it actually has a small hop jolt without being overwhelming. Plus, it's usually low enough Alpha Acid that it can be used for lightly hopped ales as well.

In regards to any hops I dislike. So far, the only hops I certainly dislike are poorly harvested hops that lead to a grassy/tea character in the beer. And, so far, the only hops I've had that did this were from my own harvest and therefore my fault :(

Some hops don't give a whole lot back, and some hops are better suited for specific purposes but I can't say I've definitely disliked one particular hop with the exception of excessively-grassy hops.

On the commercial side, I have not had a hop that I dislike. In my homebrew, I don't like some of the new, more fruity hops like nelson sauvin, mosaic, amarillo, citra. I am working on my water to clear things up a bit, but my beers with cascade, centennial, ekg turn out much better.

Belma. The only hops I have actually tossed. At least it was only $5/lb It as a dry hop seemed to help head retention without really contributing much otherwise. As a flavor hop it just did not do it for me at all. Havent really used it for bittering.

I agree that Belma is almost non-existent in terms of flavor/aroma contributions, especially at normal rates, but it's bittering and head retention abilities are very nice. I think these unique attributes are what make it such a great hop to have in your arsenal. It's cheap, it's clean bittering, it's head retention promotion, it's no flavor/aroma contribution.

The head retention alone make this one worth it, PLUS it's a fantastic clean bittering hop especially for those beers that need clean bittering and low IBUs. It's much easier to weigh out 0.7 oz of belma than 0.25 oz of warrior; plus the margin of error is more gentle.

In terms of head retention; I just dryhopped a cream ale with 0.75oz of belma and it worked wonders on the head retention which would normally be non-existent; plus there is no real aroma/flavor contribution which is perfect for a cream ale.

I probally need to give this beer time to mellow but I am having a helluva time with the chinook hops I used for the last 15 minutes. I may have used too much or just not a good combo with the cascade I used at 60. If I ever use these again, I will not use the full ounce.

To be fair it has only been bottled for 3 days. If I am wrong I will repost and eat crow! lol

can't STAND belma hops. nasty-a$$ gross stuff

That appears to be the consensus. Some find that it blends okay with the C's but I do not agree. Has mysterious head retention properties in the DH though (not to mention is hardly noticeable that way).

My wife seems to think Spalt smells like cheese...I on the other hand can't smell that in it at all.

Most Hops, IPAs are awful, IMO beer should taste like beer not overpowered with hops, after all its called beer not hop hop juice Right?.

Cheers :mug:

Yeah...eating a bowl of hops by themselves just doesn't do it for me either. OH, are we talking about how they actually taste in beer? Haha! :D

I brewed quite a bit "back in the day" (early to late 90s), and there weren't many hops to choose from back then. I will say that I preferred plugs to pellets and leaf, but can understand that it is hard to measure out plugs in amounts other than .5 oz (think you always got 4 plugs to 2 oz package).

Regarding Fuggles, I like traditional Bitters and ales with more of a malt forward taste, so I like Fuggles. Yes, all beer is supposed to have a hop taste of some sort in it, but I'm not real fond of some of the IPAs, Double IPAs, etc., running around these days. Remember Zima? Some of this crap tastes like Zima with hop extract in it. :smack:

Anyway...I digress. So, I've just gotten back into homebrewing in the last year (heavily...one or two batches in the previous years), and I haven't found a hop I dislike in moderation. I just ordered a pound of Willamette, pound of Hallertau (US), pound of Super Galena, and a pound of Nugget.

So, we'll see if I get sick of any of those. Thank goodness I'm splitting with another homebrewer...at least the Willamette and Hallertau. Will keep ya posted. :mug:

yewtah-brewha said:
I probally need to give this beer time to mellow but I am having a helluva time with the chinook hops I used for the last 15 minutes. I may have used too much or just not a good combo with the cascade I used at 60. If I ever use these again, I will not use the full ounce. To be fair it has only been bottled for 3 days. If I am wrong I will repost and eat crow! lol

Ya know... I love Chinook! But I hear its a love /hate thing. I use Chinook for flavor and aroma in smaller amounts (say like 1/2 oz ) and in dry hop in 1/2 oz increments and I love what it brings to an ale or IPA. It's strong... So, maybe just back off a bit...

Latest posts

Back