Will I Trip A Breaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobdee

Reaction score
I'm buying an 1800w Burton Induction plate for my 2.5gl batch brewery. It will be in my basement and looking at my breaker it's only 15 amp and runs all the lights, computer, water heater exhaust and tv. This little 1800w thing is going to trip that breaker, isn't it? Any suggestions?

Well, 1800w @ 120volt = 15 Amps, so yeah....at full power it's gonna blow the breaker. You'll need to find another circuit to feed the plate. Sounds like you need a dedicated 20Amp circuit for that baby.

That's what I thought, panel is in the basement 30' away and it has room for a couple more breakers so I guess I have another project.

I also have a 20a circuit that has my microwave only on it. I could tap into it and just not use the microwave when brewing.

Hope you live alone? Know at my house, a @#%! bag of popcorn would certainly take precedence over whatever ol' hubby/dad is doing in the basement.......

I ran the wire today and have an electrician coming out tomorrow to hook up the breaker. Might as well get it done right and safe.

I ran the wire today and have an electrician coming out tomorrow to hook up the breaker. Might as well get it done right and safe.

Watch him work and see if you can learn for next time. First time I did breaker work I did it with my father-in-law who does all of that kind of stuff for himself. After that . . . its a simple task to repeat again.

Watch him work and see if you can learn for next time. First time I did breaker work I did it with my father-in-law who does all of that kind of stuff for himself. After that . . . its a simple task to repeat again.

+1 - Very simple.........Watch well though, cuz its just as easy to stick your hand where it shouldn't be.:eek:

Back