Filter through a grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
Recently dry hopped my APA by dropping my pellets directly in the carboy. Is it ok to filter these hops from my beer by putting a grainbag over my hose when I rack the beer?

Recently dry hopped my APA by dropping my pellets directly in the carboy. Is it ok to filter these hops from my beer by putting a grainbag over my hose when I rack the beer?

Are you using a siphon to rack? I would just try to avoid sucking them up into your siphon instead of filtering, and possibly aerating, all the beer.

Filtering at that stage can lead to oxygenation, I wouldn't recommend it. Pellet hops will generally dissolve then settle to the bottom of the fermenter as sludge, so just siphon the beer slowly when you rerack from about 1-2 inches above the bottom of the fermenter to leave the sludge.

Go buy a two pack of paint strainer bags here. Sanitize it with the rest of your equipment, then slide it over the bottom of your racking cane (the end that goes in your carboy). Secure it with a rubber band.

Now you can stick the racking cane all the way to the bottom of the carboy and filter out hops and anything else at the bottom of the carboy. No aeration worries either, since your at the bottom of the beer!

Wash and reuse. I've done it this way for years.

Go buy a two pack of paint strainer bags here. Sanitize it with the rest of your equipment, then slide it over the bottom of your racking cane (the end that goes in your carboy). Secure it with a rubber band.

Now you can stick the racking cane all the way to the bottom of the carboy and filter out hops and anything else at the bottom of the carboy. No aeration worries either, since your at the bottom of the beer!

+1, This is how I do it as well and it works great with no problems!

pksmitty said:

+1
I have done this many times with no issues.

pksmitty said:

Sweet. I like this idea. Thanks.

Back