Chimay Cheese

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
I figured this wasn't exported but found some at whole foods today. Bad ass.

It doesn't list a specific style but it is described as;

Chimay Grand Cru is a semi-hard pressed cheese. The rind is natural, non-coloured, without preservatives and slightly flowery. After maturing for six weeks, its creaminess and fine taste of good, fresh, creamy milk give it all its flavor.

In the store, the rind made it look sort of like a brie or camembert, but colored much more pale yellow than white like the two listed previously.

I'm looking forward to trying it one of these days when I get around to buying some!

Well that rules out goats milk. Sounds to me like a washed rind cow's milk cheese. I'll double check with SWMBO (she works in cheese).

I'd tell you which company but when I inevitably piss someone off that could make them lose business ;-).

The label on the cheese at the store had listed cow's milk, forgot to add that.

The cheese is washed, in Chimay Grand Reserve I believe, from the label again.

Yeah, unless some additional flavoring/coloring is added it is all white all the time in goatsmilk land. Little goaties just dont process beta caratine in their milk. I'm guessing we are talking kind of a pasty cheese with nice chimay notes but otherwise more of a buttery flavor than a "cheesy" one?

I don't know yet. I will post back when I do try it. I would expect that you are correct in the taste though.

Back