BIAB equipment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have about 6 stovetop BIAB sessions done in the past few weeks and I realized today I might have messed up all of them, In order to keep the bag off of the bottom I used a baker's cooling rack (instead of a ss colander). The round cooling rack has some chrome content in it and I am not sure if this is safe for brewing at temps of 170+F. Anyone have any ideas? I did remove the racks prior to reaching the boil temp for the wort.

Try using a plate instead. I would be leary of using chrome. You could also buy a cheap, collapsing steamer basket to use as a false bottom.

Or you could just not worry about keeping the bag off the bottom. Mine sits flat on the bottom and I've never had a problem. I just make sure to stir when I add heat.

Or you could just not worry about keeping the bag off the bottom. Mine sits flat on the bottom and I've never had a problem. I just make sure to stir when I add heat.

This is also true. I never used a false bottom with BIAB. I just keep the bag about an inch up off of the bottom. It could go either way I suppose.

I am just wondering if I already ruined the batches that are in their fermenting buckets.

Hopefully they are fine. Can you see any chrome missing from the baker's rack? Does it look like the chrome has been flaking off at all? Are you basing the possibilty of a ruined batch on the taste or just speculation?

This is just speculation at this point. I have not tasted anything from my BIAB efforts yet since these have yet to be bottled. I did not see any missing chrome pieces/coverage on the racks when I insprected them today. I know that some tap faucets are chrome plated and that does not seem to be a problem but these will be in contact with the beer at much colder temps and probably at a different ph.

The proof is in the puddin'! Take some hydro samples and taste them. If it tastes good, then everything is probably just fine. Meanwhile, find a new way to deal with your BIAB bag on brew day..

Ive just started to get into BIAB for the speed vs AG. I have a domed false bottom in my kettle that covers move of the bottom but not all of it. Ive been super paranoid about melting the bag but I'm starting to wonder if I need to. Has anyone actually melted a bag on a propane burner?

Ive just started to get into BIAB for the speed vs AG. I have a domed false bottom in my kettle that covers move of the bottom but not all of it. Ive been super paranoid about melting the bag but I'm starting to wonder if I need to. Has anyone actually melted a bag on a propane burner?

I've read a few threads about people melting bags, but I don't recall if it was propane burners or on the stove... Just do a search on "melting bag"

The heat source doesn't matter, if you are heating and the bag is in the pot resting on the bottom it will melt. The answer is that you don't heat with the bag in there. Put the volume of water you are starting with in the pot and bring it to strike temp. Turn off the heat and put the bag in and then add the grains, stirring like mad. Put the lid on and insulate the pot and leave it alone for the time you are mashing. Pull the bag of grain out and start the heat again.

Mine rests on the bottom and doesn't melt when I add heat for mash-out. But as I said, you have to stir while adding heat so that the grain doesn't act as an insulator.

Back