Metallic/Tannic Taste - StarSan & Plate Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I've been getting a slight metallic/tannic taste in all of my beers.

My process has been ...

Sanitizing my 30 plate chiller with StarSan, I typically let the solution sit in the chiller for 30 to 45 minutes, drain, then refil with the same solution. I noticed the last time that the StarSan exiting the chiller was cloudy and not clear as it went in. Using distilled water, my StarSan is crystal clear. Only does it change when it runs through the plate chiller.

I met with a commercial brewer today who tasted my beers and confirmed a slight metallic/tannic taste. Nothing over the top, but present.

When discussing my cleaning, he felt that my sanitizing process may be the root of the problem. That by leaving the StarSan in the plate chiller it was altering the pacification and that by immediately using the chiller, without allowing the pacification to reform, may be allowing the hot wort passing through it to pickup some of the metallic taste.

It was suggested that the plate chiller did not have time to repacificy.

Does this make any sense?

Will a solution of StarSan somehow strip the protective pacification from the inside of the plate chiller? If so, how do I repacify?

Let it dry really well and there should be no problems.

I used to get the same problem and attributed it to either pressing the grains (kind of outside guess) or more likely the chlorine or chloramine in the water. I started using campden tablets, and have not noticed it since.

It was just something that I noticed that went away when i started using campden tablets... I also now use ph 5.2 mash stabilizer.

The point is, i contributed it to the choramine and chorine in the water. Not sure if that was the problem, but either way, you should be using spring water or treating or filtering to remove chlorine and chloramine.

Back