2206 Bavarian Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Help I brewed a smoked lager using the 2206 Bavarian Lager on Mon-Wed I had a small head of krasuen so I addedd a 2nd pack on Wed, but now nothing any thoughts on this? ferm temp is at 51 ,there is a nice bottom layer of yeast of about 2 inches is this normal for this style of yeast?

Personally, If I was planning on using two packs I would have added them all initially.

Anyways, lager yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast, so it sounds like you have a nice yeast cake on the bottom. This is normal, everything should be fine.

My last lager took a week to get going -- and I added a fresh pack and four bottles of washed yeast! My current lager is taking off after 12 hours so I cannot predict when one will be a slow, and one will be a fast, ferment.

I can tell you that the one that took a week to start fermenting just got kegged and it tasted fantastic -- best I have ever done.

All the lagers I have brewed have had a smallish, dense krausen, and didn't seem to take off like what is typical of an ale yeast, however, they all finished within the FG range and tasted great!

Don't sweat it, check your gravity and when its done its done, follow typical lager process of dropping temps over several days after d-rest get it off the cake and lager away..

Your hydrometer is the only way to tell for sure. Take a gravity reading.

Am I correct in assuming you pitched two "smack packs" with no starter? If so you may have drastically underpitched. If your Rauchbier is AG I would say it has a great chance of being okay at 51 degrees.

Give it some time. Worst case you wait a few more days, see no activity and your gravity doesn't change so you toss a couple packs of dry yeast in.

RDWHAHB

i just used 2206 on a dunkel. this (as well as most of my lagers) have all had small krausens. 2206 was also noticeably more flocculant than, say, 833

its coming up on 3wks in primary

i just used 2206 on a dunkel. this (as well as most of my lagers) have all had small krausens. 2206 was also noticeably more flocculant than, say, 833

its coming up on 3wks in primary

Moto do you use O2 to aerate? I've noticed bigger krausens on my lagers since I started doing that. My current Bohemian Pils with S-23 has a modest krausen, but I've pushed the temp down to about 45 on it.

i did use O2, 1 minute blast. but i brewed at my uncle's and drove the carboys home. under airlock but it might have diffused out.

German Munich Malt 6#
Weyermann Smoked Malt 3#
Weyermann Caramunich II 14oz
Weyermann Dehusked Carafa I 5oz
Weyermann Acidulated Malt 2 5 oz
German Hallertau Hop Pellets 1 oz.
2206 Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

BIAB at 155 for 90 Min

you underpitched. go to mrmalty.com to determine the correct pitching rate. you may have other problems too, but this would be the biggest one.

Back