panel to spa panel wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalobrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a spa panel from HD and am going to put it in the garage (attached) for indoor brewing. I have about a 15 foot run between floor joists, through a wall (insulated) then up to where I want to mount the panel. From what I have picked up: 6/4 wire from panel (50 amp breaker) to spa panel (50 amp gfci) and I need hard conduit in the garage portion (I don't think I can get it inside the wall with the insulation). Where I get confused is I don't think I can use romex type cable inside the conduit, but need it for the portion between the joists. so.... what type of wire/cable should I be using, run conduit the whole way? etc.

Also, are there any code requirements for the spa panel height and outlet heights in the garage?
Have a good Thanksgiving,
Mike

buffalobrewer, There are a couple of ways you can do this. Run romex (6/3 with ground, not 6/4. Since the ground wire doesn't normally carry current, it isn't considered a "wire". 6/4 is four current carrying conductors and a ground.) to a point where you can put a junction box (6X6X6 PVC) then run 1.25" PVC conduit to the location where you'll mount the spa panel. Use #6 THH/THWN (4 lengths, the distance from your junction box to the spa +10% (fudge factor)). Mark 1 green, 1 white and 1 red. You can run PVC the entire way. Sometimes more of a hassle. Same estimation for wire as above. Romex isn't allowed to be run in PVC unless the PVC is considered just a sleeve (no connectors at either end), but I have seen it done.
I like to mount the panels about 4' off the ground. I'd have to check the NEC to see what height, if any, is called for. You should also check with the local building dept. to what they recommend. In the spa panel you'll need to make sure the ground and neutral busses are electrically separated (if they're not already). There's sometimes a short wire/strip of metal that bonds the neutral to the panel itself. If so, that has to be removed. All the circuits to be put in the spa/sub panel have to have the neutrals and grounds put on their respective busses. I wish there were a shorter answer to your question.

I picked up a spa panel from HD and am going to put it in the garage (attached) for indoor brewing. I have about a 15 foot run between floor joists, through a wall (insulated) then up to where I want to mount the panel. From what I have picked up: 6/4 wire from panel (50 amp breaker) to spa panel (50 amp gfci) and I need hard conduit in the garage portion (I don't think I can get it inside the wall with the insulation). Where I get confused is I don't think I can use romex type cable inside the conduit, but need it for the portion between the joists. so.... what type of wire/cable should I be using, run conduit the whole way? etc.

I have the same panel which I plan to mount in the garage close to the main panel. Why do you need conduit in the garage? Is it an electric code issue? My garage is unfinished and has a lot of Romex going in and out of the main panel, and no conduits except for the main feed from the roof. I plan to feed my sub panel with 10/3 w ground UF cable, connecting to a 30A 2P breaker in the main panel.

Petey,
Thanks for the advice, just what I was looking for!

quaffer,
Mine would be exposed on a finished wall. From what I've read if the wiring is in a wall it doesn't need the conduit. The wires need to be protected.

Back