Oxidizing ingredients on purpose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve123

Reaction score
Dont ask why, but I was thinking of taking a batch load of ingredients with me on my vacation. Its fairly warm, humid, salty air and I was wondering if I were to open all of my ingedients and expose them to that air for the week what would be the effects on the finished product? It would be all of the grain along with the hops.
I'm thinking an American Pale Ale.

Figured I'd pick everyone's brain.

Well, probably wouldn't have much effect on grain unless it was stored in direct sunlight or in a damp hot warehouse for 2+ weeks. Any grain I buy isn't in air tight packs anyways.

I don't think I'd recommend it on the hops. All you will get is a degredation in the AA% from the improper storage. Worst case scenario, you will end up with cheesy stale hops.

We go through so much trouble sourcing fresh quality ingredients. I think its pretty much proven that brewing with stale, old or sub par ingredients usually results in sub par beer.

Back