Coopers Heritage Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketcrab

Reaction score
I put this one together tonight:

1 Cooper's Heritage Lager
1 can of Coopers Light LME , 3.3lbs [1.5kg]
10 Crystal, .5 lb [22kg]
14 grams Hallertau leaf hops, 20 minutue boil
14 grams Hallertau leaf hops, 5 minute boil
Saflager dry yeast

I was sort of aiming for an American Standard Lager. Using the BeerTools recipe calculator, this was supposed to have an OG of around 1046, but it came in at 1062. I'm not really worried about it, so I get what I get. I threw in all of those extra hops because the first time I made the Heritage Lager, it turned out a bit more sweet than I care for. We'll see what happens! :mug:

Hey rocketcrab...interesting ingredients.

Whats going on w/ the beer right now? Fermentation is bubbling away? It might be in 24 or 48 hrs. for sure.

Let me know by Monday night.

I am also about to make a Heritage Lager, is the yeast that comes with it a lager yeast or just generic ale yeast? It would not really be lager with an ale yeast I gather...

I am also about to make a Heritage Lager, is the yeast that comes with it a lager yeast or just generic ale yeast? It would not really be lager with an ale yeast I gather...

I got this off of an Aussie homebrewing forum - it lists the yeasts that come with Cooper's kits. The Heritage is a combination of a lager/ale yeast.

To summarise some previous posts on what yeast comes with what Cooper's brew:
<ul><li>The International Series Australian Pale Ale and the Premium Selection Sparkling Ale, Australian Bitter, Traditional Draught and Heritage Lager come with a blend of lager and ale yeasts.

<li>The Original Series (Lager, Real Ale, Draught, Bitter, Stout and Dark Ale) are all ale yeasts.
<li>International Series Canadian Blonde is ale.
<li>International Series Bavarian Lager and Brewmaster Selection Pilsener are Saflager (P is stamped next to useby date).
<li>Brewmaster Selection Wheat Beer is a wheat beer yeast (W next to useby date).
<li>Brewmaster Selection Nut Brown Ale is (was, as it's now discontinued) an ale yeast (but different to the Original Series yeast).
<li>Brewmaster Selection India Pale Ale is an ale yeast, but I'm not sure what type.
<li>The Irish Stout comes with an ale yeast.
<li>The International Series Mexican Cerveza is an ale/lager blend
</ul>
If anyone's got any further information, please share.

I got this off of an Aussie homebrewing forum - it lists the yeasts that come with Cooper's kits. The Heritage is a combination of a lager/ale yeast.

To summarise some previous posts on what yeast comes with what Cooper's brew:
<ul><li>The International Series Australian Pale Ale and the Premium Selection Sparkling Ale, Australian Bitter, Traditional Draught and Heritage Lager come with a blend of lager and ale yeasts.

<li>The Original Series (Lager, Real Ale, Draught, Bitter, Stout and Dark Ale) are all ale yeasts.
<li>International Series Canadian Blonde is ale.
<li>International Series Bavarian Lager and Brewmaster Selection Pilsener are Saflager (P is stamped next to useby date).
<li>Brewmaster Selection Wheat Beer is a wheat beer yeast (W next to useby date).
<li>Brewmaster Selection Nut Brown Ale is (was, as it's now discontinued) an ale yeast (but different to the Original Series yeast).
<li>Brewmaster Selection India Pale Ale is an ale yeast, but I'm not sure what type.
<li>The Irish Stout comes with an ale yeast.
<li>The International Series Mexican Cerveza is an ale/lager blend
</ul>
If anyone's got any further information, please share.

thanks, but a combination what does that mean exactly? Is it half ale/ half lager yeast or some sort of hybrid? Is it supposed to ferment at lager temperatures or ale temperatures..I was also thinking about the starter or should one rehydrate in cold water.

What I;ve heard is if you ferment @ ale temps the ale yeast will take over and visa versa.... blows my mind a bit but it must work if they're shipping the stuff around the world. Also it must be the saflager S-189 or something similar... a normal lager yeast would be nasty if fermented at high temps, as I understand. S189 is a very clean fermenting lager yeast that can take pretty high temps.

thanks, but a combination what does that mean exactly? Is it half ale/ half lager yeast or some sort of hybrid? Is it supposed to ferment at lager temperatures or ale temperatures..I was also thinking about the starter or should one rehydrate in cold water.

I suppose it's all of the above - sort of a fool-proof yeast for the "averge guy" who just wants to make decent beer without a lot of fuss. I made my Heritage Lager with a a dry lager yeast that I bought from my LHBS, and chucked the kit yeast into a batch of cider - where it's not doing much. :( As for re-hydrating yeast, I've never bothered doing that with any of Cooper's yeasts, and have never had a problem.

What I;ve heard is if you ferment @ ale temps the ale yeast will take over and visa versa.... blows my mind a bit but it must work if they're shipping the stuff around the world. Also it must be the saflager S-189 or something similar... a normal lager yeast would be nasty if fermented at high temps, as I understand. S189 is a very clean fermenting lager yeast that can take pretty high temps.

I'm not familiar with S-189. Does it go by another name?

Just Saflager S 189 as far as I know. I hear it is uncommon... the only time I've heard people talking about it is in reference to this kit I think. The aussies seem to be familiar with it so maybe its not avail in north america?

Well maybe then it would work to ferment the stuff at a lower temperature thus inhibit the ale yeast, I am going to try it. The opposite cannot work though, a higher temperature does not inhibit the lager yeast, on the contrary it grows almost as fast as the ale yeast and producing not so nice flavours....

Well I'll just ferment at a lower temperature thus inhibit the ale yeast, only problem would be to do the opposite and ferment at a high temperature since that would not inhibit the lager yeast. Lager yeast at higher temperature is not that nice, producing all sorts of weird stuff.
cheers

Back