worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isac777

Reaction score
:confused: just blew off say two cups off sediment from my conical after only 5 days of fermenting and beer is still at a 1018 need it at 1004. will the suspended yeast continue to ferment and if not can I add 1 pack for ten gal. of the dry yeast I used to finish it off or would that be bad. It's biermuncher cream of crop ale. airlock is not very active say 1 bubble every minute... I know I can take readings tommorrow and the next day but looking for some quick answers here. After all I am part of the "NOW!!!" generation:rockin:

After all I am part of the "NOW!!!" generation:rockin:

You may be part of the "Now" generation...But guest what? Your beer ain't, and it is in charge, not you.

We forget this simple fact...We are not making koolaid, or chocolate quick, just stirring in and having instant gratification...when you pitch yeast, you are dealing with living micro-organisms...and they have their own timetable, and their own agenda...and it usually is different from most of you "young-un's" with your video on demand and text messaging....:D

In Mr Wizard's colum in BYO this month he made an interesting analogy about brewing and baking....He said that egg timers are all well and good in the baking process but they only provide a "rule of thumb" as to when something is ready...recipes, oven types, heck even atmospheric conditions, STILL have more bearing on when a cake is ready than the time it says it will be done in the cook book. You STILL have to stick a toothpick in the center and pull it out to see if truly the cake is ready.....otherwise you may end up with a raw cake....

Not too different from our beers....We can have a rough idea when our beer is ready (or use something silly like the 1-2-3 rule (which doesn't factor in things like yeast lag time or even ambient temp during fermentation) and do things to our beer willy nilly....but unless we actually stick "our toothpick" (the hydrometer) in and let it tell us when the yeasties are finished...we too can "f" our beer up.

And airlock bubbling or lack of is never a good gauge of fermentation...

But anyway...Patience bub, if the yeasties say they ain't finished, then leave ti the hell alone, and let them do their job. :D

"young-un's" with your video on demand and text messaging....

I understand but is it true yeast is suspended in the beer?
anyway thx for the reply always good to hear from a sensei of your magnitude but now I
gotta go sorry must download, text and instant gratify myself he he! :-}

Back