lagering fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
Hi - I found this on craigs list:

Chefmate Mini Refridgerator

I was thinking I might make him an offer - does anybody see why it wouldn't work as a lagering fridge in the winter and an ale fermentation fridge for the summer? Would there be a better type to look for? Space is limited.

Thanks!

What size batch would you be lagering in this? I have the same fridge and it is definitely not big enough for a 5 gallon carboy. I think I paid $100 for mine on sale.
Cheers,
Brian

5 gallon batches. So it would need room for at least a 5 gallon carboy with a blow off/air lock. So you are saying keep looking, huh?

Keep looking. Believe me, I have sat and stared at my fridge for a long time trying to figure out how to modify it for more space. The only way I could see fitting a 5 gal carboy in this thing would be to remove the shelving on the inside of the door and somehow remove/re-locate the freezer, but I believe the freezer is the only cooling coil in the fridge, that is what cools the whole thing. It does work great for bottled beer, but that's about all.
Cheers,
Brian

I bought a Frigidaire FRC445 after measuring the interior and determining that my 6gal carboy would just fit after removing the freezer shelf. This shelf comes out with the removal of one hinge screw - no bending of delicate cooling coils required.
But once it was full of liquid, it pressed against the door so that even when locked the weatherstrip seal was not touching the doorframe at the bottom.
I cinched a web strap around its lower midsection and pressed on.
I have also heard there is a Sanyo model out there that actually fits carboys.

Back