FIrst IPA. CRITICIZE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhitch1

Reaction score
2 batches of AG done so far and more than plenty of extract. Long story short i love large citrusy EAST-coast IPAs and decided to formulate my first recipe. let me know what you guys think.. Going for a nice somewhat chewy big citrusy-tropical smooth bittered IPA...OK OK heres the recipe

Grain Bill
9 LBs 2 Row
2 Lbs Torrified Wheat
1 Lb Crystal 60L
1 Lb Munich

Hops
1oz Polaris 21% 60 Min
1oz Galena 12.0% 30 Min
.5oz Nelson Sauvin 11.2% 15 Min
1oz Amarillo 9.2% 10 Min
1oz Galaxy 14.9% 5 Min

Dry Hop 5 Days
1oz Amarillo
.5oz Galena

Brew Pal is giving me:
6% ABV
1.063 SG
1.015 FG
111 IBU (not very reachable i would think)
10L

2 questions...
1.I have notty, 04, 05, 06, BRY-97, t-58, s-33 (im a HUGE belgian fan)
what should i pitch? i would think the us-04?

2.Double brewday....havent picked my BDSA hops...any suggestions?
10% sugars 8%rye
Motueka, liberty, wakatu, zythos, cascade....most of my low AA hops. or any of above.

Last thing to master is hop additions and AA% understanding. THERES SO MANY!!!!!

PROST!!

Id go with US-05 for the yeast.

Grain bill looks legit - 8oz of Munich probably won't be very noticeable though.

I would move the Galaxy towards the end of the boil - it can get kinda harsh if it's in the kettle too long. Besides, it will help give you more of that tropical flavor you want.

Careful with the Nelson - it is potent and does not reflect citrus or tropical fruits. It can quickly dominate other hops.

Id go with US-05 for the yeast.

Grain bill looks legit - 8oz of Munich probably won't be very noticeable though.

I would move the Galaxy towards the end of the boil - it can get kinda harsh if it's in the kettle too long. Besides, it will help give you more of that tropical flavor you want.

Careful with the Nelson - it is potent and does not reflect citrus or tropical fruits. It can quickly dominate other hops.
you think i should up the munich it to a pound?

full ounce of galaxy at 15 sound good or keep it at 14grams at 15?

Ive always thought of nelson as a very grapey/tart "luscious" hop...actually now after describing it that way i think im siding more to removing the 15 min addition...

Boil time?

60 Min

This sounds great! I love galaxy (in fact I'm sitting waiting on a boil right now for a Galaxy Pale Ale) and have been very curious about the Nelson. This should be good if you like the fruity hops.

you think i should up the munich it to a pound?

full ounce of galaxy at 15 sound good or keep it at 14grams at 15?

Ive always thought of nelson as a very grapey/tart "luscious" hop...actually now after describing it that way i think im siding more to removing the 15 min addition...

Im probably the wrong guy to ask about "upping the Munich". I like it.. a lot. I have a hard time building an APA or IPA without putting a full pound in. I put about 4lbs in IPA this summer that took home a Blue Ribbon. I say go for a full pound.

In my humble opinion, the later you add the Galaxy and Amarillo the better. If you are low on those hops, I would consider using them at knockout.

I think you have a little room to improve your flavor/aroma hop additions. Simply moving the Galaxy and Amarillo to knockout would be my choice. I bet it will be tasty either way!

Upping the Amarillo in the dry hop will increase the citrus punch of the beer too; which sounds really nice to me.

This sounds great! I love galaxy (in fact I'm sitting waiting on a boil right now for a Galaxy Pale Ale) and have been very curious about the Nelson. This should be good if you like the fruity hops.

Really crazy about these Polaris also not sure how there gonna match up ( didnt even cut the package yet)
Whats your hop schedule like on the galaxy PA? Is it a SMaSH?

Grain bill looks good, but obviously the star of an IPA is the hop profile. Lately I've become a big fan of first wort hopping. If you really want a smooth bitterness, you might consider moving your 30 minute additions to be FWH additions.

never FWH before. do i completely remove the 30 min addition and add it to my 160-170* first runnings? and leave in for the entire boil?

Moved the gaxaxy and amarillo towards flameout removed the late sauvin addition and upped the munich
Doughing in a couple hours. Any other suggestions?
Thx alot guys!

never FWH before. do i completely remove the 30 min addition and add it to my 160-170* first runnings? and leave in for the entire boil?

Moved the gaxaxy and amarillo towards flameout removed the late sauvin addition and upped the munich
Doughing in a couple hours. Any other suggestions?
Thx alot guys!

Yeah, just take the 30 minutes hops and put them in the kettle before you start draining your mash tun into it. These hops will stay in for the entire boil. I've FWH a few times, but when I do the bitterness is very smooth and allows the flavor to take center stage.

Back