Classic Style Smoked Beer Loon Lake Smoked Porter (Award Winner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning to make this recipe this weekend. Wanting to know how vigorous a fermentation it's going to be. I made the "Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter" a while back and it lost its mind, blew the lid off, even at 66F. Given, the OG was higher and it was Nottingham yeast. Still, will I need a blow off tube for this bad boy or will a normal s-shaped ailock suffice?

i haven't had the Loon Lake porter that BM used as a reference for this, but if anyone has made this, and had Stone's smoked porter, how does the smokiness compare? I love that beer and wold at least want that much smoke.

@Frikkiemn When I use s-04, I am usually pretty safe with an airlock. I think it is a wonderful vigorous yeast, but it doesn't seem to blow the lid off like notty. In my experience anyway.

woknblues said:
i haven't had the Loon Lake porter that BM used as a reference for this, but if anyone has made this, and had Stone's smoked porter, how does the smokiness compare? I love that beer and wold at least want that much smoke.

@Frikkiemn When I use s-04, I am usually pretty safe with an airlock. I think it is a wonderful vigorous yeast, but it doesn't seem to blow the lid off like notty. In my experience anyway.

I have this on tap now, made with very slight changes. It's at least as smokey as Stone, I actually don't get any smoke with Stone myself. I'm not sure how it will age but it tastes kinda like liquid bacon right now. Mine finished at 1.023 with one pack of S04 mashed around 153, ABV just under 5%. Personally I'd try for an OG closer to 1.060 next time, get it closer to the 6% ABV range. Had a slight pellicle thing going on in secondary but hasn't affected the beers taste. It does have a fast disappearing head with no lacing though, on gas for about two weeks so far. Could be the pellicle or just that dark beers take longer to carb up, so I've heard.

Thanks woknblues for the reply. Good to hear as I havn't actually gotten around to doing the beer. sivdrinks, what was your OG that your FG was so high? I'm concerned as the OP said "I mashed this at around 157 and held it for just 45 minutes" but shows a FG of about 1.012. I'm afraid if I mas hat 157, my FG might be way too high. I made the Ó Flannagáin Standard (with S-04) and mashed at 157 and my OG was 1.048 and FG 1.023. Just wondering, cause I dont want to have too low an ABV. Any other people have results on mash temps and OG/FG values? Would appreciate it.

Thanks

Frikkieman said:
Thanks woknblues for the reply. Good to hear as I havn't actually gotten around to doing the beer. sivdrinks, what was your OG that your FG was so high? I'm concerned as the OP said "I mashed this at around 157 and held it for just 45 minutes" but shows a FG of about 1.012. I'm afraid if I mas hat 157, my FG might be way too high. I made the Ó Flannagáin Standard (with S-04) and mashed at 157 and my OG was 1.048 and FG 1.023. Just wondering, cause I dont want to have too low an ABV. Any other people have results on mash temps and OG/FG values? Would appreciate it.

Thanks

My recipe, guess that's a lot of crystal for a lower attenuating yeast at a temp of 154ish.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1652294

I am about to make a batch of this but am apprehensive about using S-04, as it has been the worst performing yeast I have ever used. I saw mention of WLP-007 Dry English Ale. I also have a pkg of Nottingham waiting to be used. If not S-04, any recommendations on a different yeast for this recipe? Thanks all!

I just used wlp004 Irish ale yeast on a stout recently and found it to be a strong performer. I think it would be at home here in this recipe (I see people use it for almost anything not necessarily "hop forward"). Having said that, I have faith in sa-04, it always works for me... Do you rehydrate? I used a product called ferm-gro, (I think it was some kind of nutrient) when I rehydrated and got wonderful vigorous fermentation (60 minute lag) going on an IPA I brewed.

I do rehydrate and the S-04 I used was my fourth and final LME kit before I went to partial mash and allgrain brew kits and recipes. I know I fermented too warm on those first four batches and that is why I was ending up with so much acetaldehyde, but the S-04 jus was so slow and sluggish. I do remember thinking that if i ever used it again it would be only with yeast nutrient and maybe even some energizer. Are porters by design an english ale? Is this beer, because of the smoked malt, more likely to be considered a a german ale? I thought the Nottingham might be a good choice because it is both an english yeast and it doesnt leave much for esters behind. And I already have a pack of it :)

Full disclosure, I haven't brewed this beer!!

Porters are English originally, for sure. I feel that English and UK styles can have some mild ester profile, and are more malt forward. That is not to say that American style porters (or pales or IPAs for that matter) that favor a cleaner finishing yeast that is hop driven are not good or right, and of course, use what you like or have on hand! Notty would be an obvious choice to use, if I had it on hand, I wouldn't hesitate to use it here... I have been using sa-04 quite a bit because my LHBS is perpetually out of sa-05. Someone comes by and scoops them all up just before I get there. Consequently, I have begun to get familiar and appreciate the sa-04 strain. It is certainly less predictable than the old stand-by's (sa-05, notty). I don't use notty for fear of a blow out. I ferment in the house for ales in general and can't afford to piss off the wife.

I have been super pleased with BM's recipes. He will mix grains from other countries it seems to get the right balance in his brews. Also, he is likely brewing with what he has on hand. I think his brews are unique in that he can take a malt not normally used in a style and make beautiful beers with them. His blonde ale, for example has vienna malt in it.

Woknblues, I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Im gonna use the Notty. I have it and I have a big blowoff hose for my primary. Based on what youve said here, I wont write off S-04. If I come across a recipe that calls for it, Ill use it. Now, if u do get a pkg of S-05, after you brew, maybe consider washing it? That way you can keep some on hand and dint have to worry bout grabbin some. You'll already have it!

I'm wanting to up the smoke flavor a bit and brew 6 gallons instead of 5. Will this bill accomplish that without compromising the composition of the beer?

8 lbs of smoked malt
3 lbs of munich
1 lb crystal malt 40L
.75 lb chocolate malt
.75 cara-pils
.5 oz northern brewer
.75 oz willamette

I'm wanting to up the smoke flavor a bit and brew 6 gallons instead of 5. Will this bill accomplish that without compromising the composition of the beer?

8 lbs of smoked malt
3 lbs of munich
1 lb crystal malt 40L
.75 lb chocolate malt
.75 cara-pils
.5 oz northern brewer
.75 oz willamette

I was thinking along these lines as well. I was thinking of replacing melanoidin malt, say a quarter lb with 2 lb of munich and then bumping the smoke 2lb so that the gravity isn't changed too much, while retaining a malt profile, so that it looks like this, from the original recipe:

7.00 lb Smoked Malt
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L
0.25 lb melanoidin malt
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (250.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)

Safale-04 Slurry from a prior batch.

*****having said that, I am more likely to brew the original recipe first, since I have no real experience with smoked beers other than stone smoked that most say is very mildly smoked*******************

The recipe I found called for only about 14% smoked malt. I've found it online, forget the site, but so far I have enjoyed the stolen samples that I've tasted. Is this too little smoked malt ? The brew is not a porter, I think it's closer to a lager than anything else.

Anyone else have head issues? Seriously though. Tastes good but disappears quickly never to return, no lacing either.

Anyone else have head issues? Seriously though. Tastes good but disappears quickly never to return, no lacing either.

With a full pound of Cara, this beer should (and has in my experience) develope a pretty rich, frothy head. Any beer that has been on the gas just a short time, may appear to have a full carbonation profile in the taste, but not be mature enough to develop and hold a good, lacing head.

The longer my carbonated beers stay on the gas (at normal serving pressure), the more robust and long lasting the head.

BierMuncher said:
With a full pound of Cara, this beer should (and has in my experience) develope a pretty rich, frothy head. Any beer that has been on the gas just a short time, may appear to have a full carbonation profile in the taste, but not be mature enough to develop and hold a good, lacing head.

The longer my carbonated beers stay on the gas (at normal serving pressure), the more robust and long lasting the head.

I had some pellicle form in secondary, must of been the culprit.

BM, I was wondering if you would comment on my proposal above. I see earlier in the thread some people just added a couple extra lb's of smoked malt. I was considering doing this, or, as above, subbing out a portion of the munich for melanoidin and then covering the balance with more smoked..

Basically, I want to make exactly what you describe in the intro with a slightly higher amount of smoke profile, say at the 65% level that the beer you are tipping your hat to used. I too, like a rich porter, but not necessarily an "ABV strong" one, nor a cloyingly sweet one... This is what I find attractive with smoke. It adds a layer of nuance that is both strong, and weightless..

I'm probably just over analyzing this.

BM, I was wondering if you would comment on my proposal above. I see earlier in the thread some people just added a couple extra lb's of smoked malt. I was considering doing this, or, as above, subbing out a portion of the munich for melanoidin and then covering the balance with more smoked..

Basically, I want to make exactly what you describe in the intro with a slightly higher amount of smoke profile, say at the 65% level that the beer you are tipping your hat to used. I too, like a rich porter, but not necessarily an "ABV strong" one, nor a cloyingly sweet one... This is what I find attractive with smoke. It adds a layer of nuance that is both strong, and weightless..

I'm probably just over analyzing this.

I think your adjustments are sound. I love Munich malt and this beer will be just fine with a bit more smoke profile. :mug:

I think your adjustments are sound. I love Munich malt and this beer will be just fine with a bit more smoke profile. :mug:

I decided to play it smart and just add 2lb of smoked malt to the original recipe for a total of 7, everything else the same. (never used melanoidin malt before, and don't want to mess up) Thanks for your reply!!

A smooth brew day. I had to sub out Willamette with Mt Hood LHBS was out. I figured a bit of Amurrikan noble hop and spiceyness might be good with the smoke. I have forgotton how much I do love the spicey variety of hops like hallertauer, Mt hood, etc... I mashed at around 155 or so, and didn't worry too much about dialing in my temps. (I misplaced the moving blankets that I normally use to keep the pot insulted, so I had to hit the burner a couple of times) so I know I drifted into the 148 range a couple of times. Ghetto decoction mashing? :)

I ended up with a 1.057 and pitched some washed sa-04 cake from an IPA I made. The sample was interesting. Nice roasty and smokey up front. I hope I kept some sweetness and that this thing doesn't dry down too much.

A smooth brew day. I had to sub out Willamette with Mt Hood LHBS was out. I figured a bit of Amurrikan noble hop and spiceyness might be good with the smoke. I have forgotton how much I do love the spicey variety of hops like hallertauer, Mt hood, etc... I mashed at around 155 or so, and didn't worry too much about dialing in my temps. (I misplaced the moving blankets that I normally use to keep the pot insulted, so I had to hit the burner a couple of times) so I know I drifted into the 148 range a couple of times. Ghetto decoction mashing? :)

I ended up with a 1.057 and pitched some washed sa-04 cake from an IPA I made. The sample was interesting. Nice roasty and smokey up front. I hope I kept some sweetness and that this thing doesn't dry down too much.

nice, I look forward to hearing your progress

was the SRM issue ever worked out with the Weyermann Beechwood Smoked malt? It was about a 3 and the recipe calls for a 9.

I have my sparge resting for this as I type. I've never made or had a smoked porter but the grain smelled excellent. I followed the recipe almost exactly, adding in one pound of 2-row for a little more strength. I'd have added rauch but only had five pounds. Next time I'll up the grain bill properly, but I still had 40% smoked malt. Looking forward to trying this beer! Kyle

I kegged this today. It finished at 1.024 and started at 1.060 (missed my normal 83% efficiency due to grain mill adjustment), for a total of 4.7%. The entire brew had no smoke until the final gravity sample. As soon as it went into the glass I was struck with a pleasant smoke scent. This one's a keeper! Thanks for the recipe. Kyle

FWIW, I used the original recipe posted by BM and I'm getting no smoke flavor at all after about 3 weeks in the secondary and being on CO2 for about a week.

I'm looking at brewing my first smoked beer and I like the looks of this recipe but, I'm also looking at the grains I have sitting around, so I modified the recipe a bit and hoping for some opinions, I'll be smoking my own malt so I dropped it to 4lbs because I read home smoked malt is often stronger.

4lbs smoked malt
3lbs Maris otter
2lb Vienna Malt
1lb carapils
1lb pale chocolate
8oz crystal 10
6oz crystal 60
1.5oz willamette

This gives me an OG of 1.056
same IBU as original

I thought I had some munich but apparently I used it all in my last batch, I do have some victory malt too that I wondered about throwing in.

Thanks

FWIW, I used the original recipe posted by BM and I'm getting no smoke flavor at all after about 3 weeks in the secondary and being on CO2 for about a week.
Seems pretty obvious that since smoked malt makes up basically 50% of the grain bill that you must have had some really old and/or weak smoked malt. Where did you get it if I may ask?

Today I paired my Look Lake Smoked Porter with a bacon wrapped meatloaf! I brewed this beer last April with 65% smoked malt and it still retains some good smoke flavor!! Thanks Biermuncher for the recipe! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390771814.238157.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390771838.972793.jpg

I'm going to brew this recipe but I'm going to add a 1lb of Maple Bacon Candi syrup from Cascade Beer Candi to give it a little bacon flavor as well...can't wait!

Making a 1/2 batch 2.75 gallon recipe this time mostly to use up leftover smoked malt

3 lbs Briess Smoked Malt 48 %
2 lbs Munich 10L 32%
8 oz CaraPils 8 %
6 oz Caramel/Crystal 40 6 %
6 oz Chocolate malt 6%

.68 oz Willamette at 60

Using WLP 007 Dry English Ale yeast

Targets of
156 deg infusion mash at 45
1.068 SG
1.020 FG
6.6 ABV
23 IBUs
2.5 gallon bottling

The batch I made last April still has significant smoke flavor at 7.0 lbs (56%) smoked malt. And I really like the Briess smoked malt. Im in the mash right now and it has great smoky aroma :)

Bottled tonight!! Man do I love this recipe!! Cant wait to pair it with my first smoked pulled pork of the spring... Thanks again Biermuncher for this recipe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottled on March 1st. Hit 1050 for the OG. Not as good as as I would have liked. Second time I have made this beer. I can't get enough. Great recipe BM!

Both of my batches were made with a Briess smoked malt from LD Carlson and I cannot say enough good things about it. Surprisingly the second batch was made with malt that was opened 10 months prior and it still has strong smoke flavor!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back