More Plum Wine Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms8miranda

Reaction score
Last night, I put the smashed wild plums (including the pits) into the primary vessel, poured boiling water on them and stirred in crushed Campden tablets dissolved in a little water.

This morning when I uncovered the primary, I noticed a small spot of white bubbles on top. Is this OK?

Also, this morning I added more plums (& more Campden). I just want to make sure this is OK to do....the only things in the primary so far are the plums, water, 1/2 sugar amt and campden tabs.

Some would advocate pectic enzyme as well.
(Dunno; I always use it regardless, find there're others with the same outlook - always looking out though for a contrary opinion).
Then there's acid blend, or possibly citric acid, and tannin...........
Otherwise don't think you need worry; had the same with one of mine which caused some angst but seems to have come through AOK.

I think he was adding it to his fruit to kill any wild yeasts, then giving it 24 hours before pitching. Standard practice for fruit wines in most of the books I've been reading. Giving it at least 24 hours before pitching makes it safe for the yeast.

Regarding the impact of metabisulfite during primary fermenting, I had a situation recently where adding it during the first racking stopped my ferment. Normally I measure the SG before racking and depending on plans will use sulfite on first and last rackings. In this case I was lazy and didn't measure because my Black Currant had been going well for a week in the primary.

After I added the bisulfite I took a reading for SG and it was still way higher than I expected (1.040) and two month later was not coming down at all ... pretty much knocked the yeast out. I made another 5 gallon batch of Black Currant with a killer Champagne yeast and then a few months later mixed the two batches in a 10 gallon fermenter. The 2nd batch loved the extra sugar when mixed and the result was the best wine I've ever tasted. The blend of Montrachet in the first batch and EC-1118 in the second was really awesome.

The point being, adding metabisulfite can definitely knock out your yeast ... although it could depend on the yeast. But if it happens, use it as an opportunity to blend with another stronger batch and the results can be quite good.

Back