I'm a dummy, did I ruin this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleJoe

Reaction score
Just recently moved into a new place and started my 1st batch here. Well without thinking when I put in the secondary (glass carboy) I have been storing it in the laundry room, not covered :(. Hasn't been in a lot of sunlight but hasn't been in the dark either. Whats the consensus, did I just ruin this batch?

As long as it wasn't being exposed to direct sunlight or to a flourescent bulb, then you're likely OK...in the future just stack that dirty laundry up around the carboy. ;)

If hoppy, just tell your friends you made a Heineken clone. If litely hopped, tell them it's a Corona.
]
I don't think dark beers are as prone to skunking, the light won't penetrate so far.

I think you could sample it now for skunkiness.

Relax, have a homebrew. You can always use it for a cat repellent.

I think you should be fine. My carboys are in the basement and there is a small window that lets light in a few hours a day and I haven't had any skunky batches yet. I did however start covering them because I now have a flouresent bulb in the socket in the "brewery", but it is only on for a short time if I need to get something off of the storage shelf. The beer is in the secondary for a short enough length of time, unless you are doing a "Big" beer. Just make sure you keep the bottled beer "dark". Cheers :mug:

casebrew said:
If hoppy, just tell your friends you made a Heineken clone. If litely hopped, tell them it's a Corona. I think you could sample it now for skunkiness.
Another reason to not tell anyone what it is...if you intended on brewing one style and it tastes more like another then you can change the name of it while bottling...:D

Back