Land Shark.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was actually a little (Lot) disappointed in the Land Shark Lager. I was hoping for more...being such a Parrot Head and all...I was basically obligated to try it. What I got....BMC at it's best. Noting special...not really very tasty. Better than the Coors Light I was raised on...But not much. I guess maybe after an afternoon in Margaritaville...it does not taste so bad.

olllllo said:
I'm sorry. I know that there are alot of parrot heads here but that guy exists just to take your money.

I went to cheesburger's in Paradise when it first opened here and uh...14 bucks for a cheeseburger is something else I think ill pass on 9 dollars for a sixer of Landshark.

I've got a buddy who loves that......beer(?)

BUT he's the guy who likes "good" beer and doesn't go anywhere beyond BlueMoon (with an orange :confused: ) and Killians. Guiness is too much for him....

At least it's not Coors Light

olllllo said:
I'm sorry. I know that there are alot of parrot heads here but that guy exists just to take your money.

+1. Talk about a cult. JB could piss in a bottle and label it "Margaritaville Piss" and the parrothead nation would pay top dollar for it. He fetches what, upwards of $100/ticket for his shows? Turdburger in Paradise is an overpriced dump...and all of this, why? I just don't get it. Of course, I don't particularly care for his rather bland style of beach music, but that, I could take or leave. It's his loyal nation of parrotheads that need to wake up from the fog. Just because it's Buffett-related doesn't mean it's any good. When I first saw landshark, I knew it'd be garbage. I mean, why spend extra $$ making a decent beer when your true parrotheads will buy it no matter what?

I particularly remember sitting in the airport terminal in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and there was a free-standing 2-story margaritaville built inside the terminal, independent of the surrounding structure. And as we sat there waiting for our flight, I nearly went insane with the incessant Buffett tunes blaring through the terminal. Ugh.

I could tell by looking at the bottle that it was a Corona stand-in. Count me in as one who never got the appeal of Mister Boofay. All his songs sound alike to me. He seems like a nice enough guy and he sure knows how to rake in the bucks. Gotta give him that! But his music and this beer both are something I'll generally take a pass on.

Buffett is an interesting character. You know, he and Hemingway are the only people to ever have a book on the NYTimes Best Seller list for both fiction and non-fiction. That tells you something.

Sure, there's a money-machine there, raking in the bucks. However, there's also a lot of real person there, to a greater degree than you get with other entertainers. The thing is, Buffett managed to make millions of bucks by drinking and partying, writing songs and telling stories about it. He made enough to buy his dream planes, and boats, and undoubtedly has a few nice homes here and there as well.

Well holy ****, who wouldn't want that lifestyle? The man gets to live a life that most folks can only dream about... and its refreshing because, for him, it's not really about sex, drugs, and rock and roll. It's actually deeper than that, encouraging people to do what they feel and do what makes them happy. It's rather Bacchanalian, but it's not just about the booze and drugs. It promotes as much of a high through living an exciting and personally-satisfying life as it is about using any particular substance.

I dig his music. Now that he's older, you hear very different "stories" in his songs, ones about his children, ones about fantastic fairy tales (with, it seems, a touch of truth), etc. Of course, I also like his early stuff that has more of a party aim.

My point is just that of all the philosophies and perspectives a man can subscribe to, Buffett's is one I can respect. In a way, he's the reason I finally bought a motorcycle and went long-distance touring on it. He's the reason the weather channel says to expect thunderstorms and I suit up for a 200 mile ride straight into the heart of the storm. You listen to enough songs about doing what you want, and having adventures, and you hear others talk about adventures. Then you look around at your bland and boring life, you look at how your life is and you suddenly say, "What the hell! I'm having an adventure!"

I think it's a pretty free-ing thing. And at the end of the day, the guy can sing about family and relationships and not sound too weak or soft because of it. You can tell he's had the wild times, but he's not a reckless person. That's what differentiates him from many others who I don not admire. Sure, you have to *****ebags who think it's all about the $14 hamburgers and $12 Corona-clone sixers, But you also have the folks that take something very different, and far more valuable, away from his music and stories.

Men in coconut bras? These are accountants, lawyers, doctors. And they wear coconut bras and sing ridiculous songs at concerts. And there are the women who think it's awesome and "freeing" and follow along in their own types of freeing behavior ;) These are the people who can hang out at any bar, anywhere, and have a good time. These are the people who don't get freaked out by weirdness or randomness, and can just chill out and have a good time. I get very tired of up-tight people and, I've gotta say, Buffett is as far away from "up-tight" as you can get. I freaking love it.

As for his beer and $14 hamburgers, no thanks. I'll just read the stories and listen to the music, thanks.

Evan! said:
I particularly remember sitting in the airport terminal in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and there was a free-standing 2-story margaritaville built inside the terminal, independent of the surrounding structure. And as we sat there waiting for our flight,

We should swap stories about Jamaica... I spent 11 hours in that damn airport back in December. Thanks in whole to American Air and the total incompetence of their staff. I may just start a thread about that in the drunken ramblings tonight.

And Sir Hump....
I'm with you man. I am not a dope smoking parrot head from the 70's...I do wear Hawaiian Shirts to work with Kaki Cargo pants and Loafers. I live on a farm...IN COLORADO, and collect Sea Shells. I can live vicariously through the music and writings of people like Jimmy and Earnest....Even though I may only see salt water once a year...if that. ALL of that rolls up to be far more valuable to me than any 6 pack of beer or $14.00 Burger...although I will say the burger beats the **** out of the beer.
It's a theory...a way of life...a place in my mind that I can go when it's 20 below and snowing, and the cows need fed, and I still have to take the kids to school 14 miles away. It's somewhere that I can find a catchy tune, a drink with an umbrella, and a warm tropical breeze to blow away the ****s of every day life. I guess it's like how drug addicts use heroin...It just makes me feel good for a little while.

All of this to say that the beer sucks. Save your money.

Land shark is a total drain pour, at best. :)

I rated it on Beeradvocate and it came out as an F.

Ouch..

Greg

Well--- I tried the Land Shark Lager and was quite dissapointed. Corona clone at best. Kinda pricey as well. 7.99 for 6. Oh well.

I thought it was a combo of Miller Lite and Dos Equis. Not apparently good in any sense. But if it was all that was available......I'd still drink it; don't get me wrong.

I won't buy it again. I still have a couple left in the beer fridge. I'll give em to the BMC friends that come over.

Hi I'm Steve, and I'm a ParrotHead!

But, only been one for a few months.

I'm old enough to remember Margaritaville, when it came out. I also remember Come Monday, but I didn't realize JB wrote it, back then. I have been a big fan of JB's writing for quite a while, too. Where is Joe Merchant? is one of my favourite books!

About 9 months ago, we had some Cheeseburger in Paradise oval plates come into our store, and they went for $2.49! (Why in the he** didn't I buy all 12, instead of 2??) After that, I decided to do some research.

Well, I became a dyed-in-the-wool ParrotHead! I've usually got his internet radio channel on, whenever there isn't a DiamondBacks game on, and for ALL concerts. (Did you guys know that ALL the concerts are on that radio channel, LIVE?? And the channel broadcasts a repeat concert 4 or 5 times every week?)

Yes, I got a 12 of Landshark, and was underwhelmed. No, I haven't tried his "to kill ya." (I don't do tequila.) JB, what about a decent Rum? I'd buy!

steve

Back