Temp affects sugar amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan_L

Reaction score
Punched #'s into Beersmith to calculate amount of sugar I need to add for bottling.

At 5G, I need 3.05oz to carb to 2.6 vol.

But then I noticed it was set to 40* storage temp, as they will bottle condition at 68* I put that in and the amount of sugar jumped to 4.66oz, seems almost counterintuitive. Why is it that more/less sugar would be required for a change in temp?

I don't have Beersmith, or know how to use, but I do understand priming. When beer is fermenting obviously CO2 is produced and dissolved into the beer. At a lower temperature more CO2 will dissolve into the beer. So if the beer at bottling time has more CO2 in solution it will require less priming sugar to get the desired amount of CO2. I use the priming sugar calculator at Northern Brewer. It has a field "Current temperature of beer", which affects how much priming sugar is needed. I don't think current temperature of beer is really accurate on judging how much CO2 is in solution. For example, if you ferment an ale at 70F until it is completely fermented out, it will have a certain amount of CO2 in solution which is related to temperature. If you then drop the temp down to 40F to cold crash it does not magically gain more CO2 in solution because of the temperature, it just has more potential to hold CO2 in solution. Atmospheric CO2 will dissolve into solution at lower temps, but that concentration is not as high as what you get from CO2 in solution from fermentation. So when I enter the temp value into the priming sugar calculator I use the temp the beer was at just at the end of fermentation. Some say you enter the highest temp the beer was at during fermentation, but usually these 2 values are pretty close. And bottle conditioning temperature should have no bearing on your final volume of CO2. When you add priming sugar it will add a known volume of CO2 to the bottle regardless of what temperature it is at. All the priming sugar added at bottling will be consumed by the yeast remaining in solution as long as the temperature is high enough so that the yeast are active.

slarkin712 said:
I don't have Beersmith, or know how to use, but I do understand priming. When beer is fermenting obviously CO2 is produced and dissolved into the beer. At a lower temperature more CO2 will dissolve into the beer. So if the beer at bottling time has more CO2 in solution it will require less priming sugar to get the desired amount of CO2. I use the priming sugar calculator at Northern Brewer. It has a field "Current temperature of beer", which affects how much priming sugar is needed. I don't think current temperature of beer is really accurate on judging how much CO2 is in solution. For example, if you ferment an ale at 70F until it is completely fermented out, it will have a certain amount of CO2 in solution which is related to temperature. If you then drop the temp down to 40F to cold crash it does not magically gain more CO2 in solution because of the temperature, it just has more potential to hold CO2 in solution. Atmospheric CO2 will dissolve into solution at lower temps, but that concentration is not as high as what you get from CO2 in solution from fermentation. So when I enter the temp value into the priming sugar calculator I use the temp the beer was at just at the end of fermentation. Some say you enter the highest temp the beer was at during fermentation, but usually these 2 values are pretty close. And bottle conditioning temperature should have no bearing on your final volume of CO2. When you add priming sugar it will add a known volume of CO2 to the bottle regardless of what temperature it is at. All the priming sugar added at bottling will be consumed by the yeast remaining in solution as long as the temperature is high enough so that the yeast are active.

Now I know. Learn something today. Thought I would go all day without learning.

I have a related question I was hoping someone could answer? If you cold crash your beer prior to bottling, what temp should you allow your corn syrup/water solution to chill to before adding to the beer in your bottling bucket? Or does it even matter if the beer is 50 degrees and the priming sugar solution is 80 degrees?

I have a related question I was hoping someone could answer? If you cold crash your beer prior to bottling, what temp should you allow your corn syrup/water solution to chill to before adding to the beer in your bottling bucket? Or does it even matter if the beer is 50 degrees and the priming sugar solution is 80 degrees?

Doesn't matter, it's such a small amount. Sometimes when I'm impatient I toss it right in w/out cooling. And sometimes I don't even boil (shhhh...)

This is a great explanation. The related issue I'm dealing with is that the amount of CO2 that remains in solution seems to also be a function of how long the beer sits before bottling. Normally I wait three weeks before bottling, and that gives me pretty consistent results. Recently I tried bottling a few batches after two weeks and they were way over carbonated. I guess the extra weeks allows more CO2 to come out of solution. Maybe there are other factors at play but I've since gone back to bottling in ~3 weeks because I like the consistency that seems to give me.

This is a great explanation. The related issue I'm dealing with is that the amount of CO2 that remains in solution seems to also be a function of how long the beer sits before bottling. Normally I wait three weeks before bottling, and that gives me pretty consistent results. Recently I tried bottling a few batches after two weeks and they were way over carbonated. I guess the extra weeks gives more CO2 to come out of solution. Maybe there are other factors at play but I've since gone back to bottling in ~3 weeks because I like the consistency that seems to give me.

That doesn't seem right- once fermentation is done, and no new c02 is created, whether it sits for two hours or two weeks wouldn't change the dissolved c02. It's definitely temperature related, but not time related.

That doesn't seem right- once fermentation is done, and no new c02 is created, whether it sits for two hours or two weeks wouldn't change the dissolved c02. It's definitely temperature related, but not time related.
But doesn't CO2 come out of solution gradually on it's own, regardless of temperature? I'm thinking about wine as it ages (granted, this happens over a much longer period than the week or so I'm talking about), or even an opened beer that's left out over night. When I taste my beer as fermentation is ending, I taste much more CO2 than I do when I bottle a couple weeks later even though the temperature hasn't changed.

But doesn't CO2 come out of solution gradually on it's own, regardless of temperature? I'm thinking about wine as it ages (granted, this happens over a much longer period than the week or so I'm talking about), or even an opened beer that's left out over night. When I taste my beer as fermentation is ending, I taste much more CO2 than I do when I bottle a couple weeks later even though the temperature hasn't changed.

I agree that there is definitely a time factor with dissolved CO2. Given enough time the CO2 concentration in the beer would reach an equilibrium with the atmospheric CO2 concentration. The temperature would effect the time it takes to reach this equilibrium as well. But as Yooper pointed out the CO2 concentration is definitely temperature dependent. Lower temperature beer will hold more CO2 in solution regardless of how long it has been since fermentation ended.
I would go with your experience over accepted priming information. It would be great if someone would measure the CO2 concentration in beer after fermentation to see how much time it takes to bottom out. My guess is there is a diffusion equation that would be able to predict this. This makes me wonder where the priming calculators get their dissolved CO2 concentration numbers from.
As an aside I've read that to get consistent priming result for beers that are aged long term it can be useful to add a little sugar to the fermentor before bottling. Let this ferment out and then use a priming calculator to get the desired CO2 concentration. The reason being that when the beer sits for a very long time the CO2 level reaches some low value, which must be hard to determine accurately.

If I'm following this thread right, the temperature to be entered in the calculator should be the temperature at which the beer will be stored after bottling.
The temp at which the sugar is being added should have no bearing on the dissolved CO2.
A warm bottle of beer has more CO2 in the headspace than a cold bottle of beer, hence the reason for less sugar at lower temps.

Physical Chemistry flashback ... PV=nRT
Although I did get a D in this class :(

If I'm following this thread right, the temperature to be entered in the calculator should be the temperature at which the beer will be stored after bottling.
The temp at which the sugar is being added should have no bearing on the dissolved CO2.
A warm bottle of beer has more CO2 in the headspace than a cold bottle of beer, hence the reason for less sugar at lower temps.

Physical Chemistry flashback ... PV=nRT
Although I did get a D in this class :(

This has nothing to do with bottle storage temperature. The temperature of the beer in the fermentor is what matters. When fermentation is complete there will be CO2 in solution. The amount of CO2 in solution is proportional to temperature. Colder temps allows for more CO2 to remain dissolved in solution. Prior to bottling you must estimate the amount of CO2 in solution in order to calculate how much more CO2 that is needed to achieve the desired level in the bottles. Understand?

So the temp in the calculator relates to what is already in solution. I see now.
I assumed the calculation was for getting the CO2 in solution regardless of the amount in solution.
Thanks for.the clarification.

Back