Anticipation Celebration Tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I may be leaving my current company and going to work for another one.

I work in construction.
I have been on my current job longer than any other employee (with the exception of the management) except for two. So I'm number 3 out of approximately 250. Lately I feel as if I have been getting **** on at work.
I keep getting passed over on the overtime. The reason for this I'm told, is that overtime depends on the work that you are doing......drywallers get overtime for drywall, framers get overtime for framing, etc....

Screw that. I have proven myself on this job. I have paid my dues.

The last week of my apprenticeship me partner left the company and I kind of inherited the blueprint/layout position. Cool. Not too many apprentices journey out into a position like this. Everything that gets built on the job is a direct result of how I interpret the blueprints and lay it out on the ground. That's a hell of a lot of pressure. But I took the job and have done it well. I know the prints better than anybody on the job, and I'll back that statement up any day.

But now I have been pigeonholed as only being a layout guy, therefore I don't get the overtime if there is no need for layout. But what do you think I was doing before I got on the layout? Framing and Drywall. I think I've earned some overtime.

I lay out all week just to watch the illegals get to come in on the weekend and frame it(poorly, I might add) for the premium pay.

Well no more of that ****.

I called my old boss from a company I worked for two years ago. I'm supposed to hear from him tomorrow. I got in good with the owner of the company when I was with them before (by work ethic, not by kissing ass) and I'm confident they will hire me back. That's just how it works in this line of work. High turnover rate, lot's of jumping around. I left the company on good terms, too.
It's a much smaller company, and I like that. The owner had plans for me last time, too. He had talked about prepping me for a foreman once I had journeyed out. Well, guess what? I'm a journeyman now. Won't happen right away, but I know the opportunity is there. I don't want becoming a journeyman at age 23 to be the highlight of my career. I would just keep getting passed over in the company I'm with now. It's a very cliquey company. if you're not in the clique, you're down the road. I'm pretty excited as they're working a lot of overtime right now.

Celebrating with some Anchor Christmas Ale, a Bison Chocolate Stout, a Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome and maybe a Moylan's Hopsickle just before bed.

No thanks man....pay by the hour. That's the game I play.:D

I can live just fine on 40 hours a week. Hell, I even have it set to live (much tighter though) on 32 hours per week, so I can bank a little more money.

But during this time of year, and with our crap ass economy.....I want to suck up as much overtime as I can.

He trying, he wants to be supervisor:D

good luck on the OT, really. I fix Cat equipment for one of the top 3 Cat dealers in the country. Since the construction has slowed, the hammer has come down. I used to get all the OT my tired ass could handle with mandatory 10-12's , now its a mandatory 40 no OT. The price of copper has affected the other side of the dealership (mining). We have a major shop at four different mines and some of the mines are talking closing down to force copper back up. The saying used to be "ten and then" now its "eight and skate". I'm missing those 2-3k paychecks.:(

Foreman, General Foreman and all the way up to Superintendent are all hourly.

Excuse me for falling back on my theological changing (it's ONLY because I'm drinking a year old pumpkin porter I found the other day) but it sounds like the prodigal son returning but with a hint of the whole StarWarsian "when I left you I was but a student..now I am the master," vibe about it.

:D

This is also a prime example of why you shouldn't burn your bridges behind you. I worked 14 years at the medical school where I'm back at now. I was gone for 4 1/2 years finishing seminary and doing ministry, but when my elderly parents became ill and I came back to Michigan to take care of them, and couldn't do ministry here, and spent a year and a half caring for them til my dad died, my old boss showed up at the funeral...A couple weeks later he called me and said that he knew I wasn't working, and there wasn't any ministry gigs in my denomination in my state (and I'm not leaving while my 85 year old mom is alive.) He hired me back...ANd honestly, I've never been happier...(church politics suck anyway, I'd rather freelance part time now anyway, especially having a fixed salary and bennies...)

Good luck, and keep us posted when you hear from the old boss...:mug:

Back