My "Fresh Kill" IPA Brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmbrewernw

Reaction score
So yesterday I decided to make a fresh hop ale with what I would describe as a small first year hop crop. At first I had thought of just hopping with fresh hops at the end of the boil (last 15 min) but then I thought what the hell I'll just use them all. Needless to say I think I used 22oz of wet hops all told in this ale.
Fresh Kill IPA
11lb 2row
1lb Munich

8oz wet Cascade/Willamette first wort addition
4oz wet Cascade 60min
4oz wet Cascade 30min
6oz wet Cascade/Willamette 20min continuous

DSC_0224.JPG

First wort addition

DSC_0227.JPG

MMMM smells nice!!

Continuos%20hopping.JPG

Mad Continuous hopping skills!!

Pitched this sucker on the yeast cake from Ed's Pale ale (Nottingham) and it was happily chugging away in less than 3 hours, this morning it smells wonderfully floral and grassy. :ban:

Just wondering if there's a calculation for fresh vs. dried hops utilization? Or...how much fresh hops = how much dry hops. Or did you even care? I have no idea what AA my hops are (had I gotten more than one damn cone on my 6 plants!) so does it really matter?

Make sure to plant your feet for the shot next time. Helps with the accuracy. :D

Terje

Man that looks tasty. I did my cascade harvest ale a bit ago...can't wait to try it.

Just wondering if there's a calculation for fresh vs. dried hops utilization? Or...how much fresh hops = how much dry hops. Or did you even care? I have no idea what AA my hops are (had I gotten more than one damn cone on my 6 plants!) so does it really matter?

Make sure to plant your feet for the shot next time. Helps with the accuracy. :D

Terje

Not sure if there are calcs out there (they'd be a guess anyways). The rule that I've gone by is 3oz wet in place of 1oz dry. Maybe others will have more input there. You might want to start a thread on that one.

Yeah I think I had read that you may need to use up to as much as 6-8 times the wet hops to account for the utilization of dry hops. I don't think I had over 18oz of Cascades wet so I figured what the hell I might as well just use them. I'll probably have a little over a pound dry of Willamette so I'll probably be doing a few brews with those.

I have no idea how powerful 22 oz of hops will be but what if it is so bitter you can't drink it?

I want to caution you about brewing in sandals........ How well do you like your feet cooked? One spill of 212F wort and you would be hoppin all around the yard trying to get those socks off. That's a third degree burn waiting to happen. I know you are comfortable but look out!

I would really like to try this but I guess I will have to wait 3-4 years until my babies are older.Be sure to let us all know how it worked out.

I have no idea how powerful 22 oz of hops will be but what if it is so bitter you can't drink it?

I want to caution you about brewing in sandals........ How well do you like your feet cooked? One spill of 212F wort and you would be hoppin all around the yard trying to get those socks off. That's a third degree burn waiting to happen. I know you are comfortable but look out!

Alarmist!!! :D Yeah I don't know I tasted the wort and it didn't taste all that bitter actually to be honest I wondered if it would still be too sweet. Even if I figure 6 times the amount of wet to dry that only works out to around 4 oz of hops total and there where a lot of later additions in there so I'm thinking the bitterness should be ok. I think the thing I worry about the most is it tasting too green from all of that chlorophyll. All that being said my wife thought the wort had one of the most complex hop profiles she has ever tasted in one of my beers and I got to say the smell coming out of the fermenter is the best smelling beer I have ever made. The sandals, I guess I like liven on the edge, gotta have some risk in my life I guess. :drunk:

Back