filtering and sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sansbrew24

Reaction score
I just finished my first batch and there was quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottles. I was wondering if there was any way to filter my home brew or if this is considered normal.

There will be yeast in the bottles. It's what allowed your brew to carbonate. As far as extra sediment from hops or grain you need to filter better when transferring to fermenter, and pay closer attention when racking to secondaries and bottling buckets. Try cold crashing before transferring. There are several threads on these topics.

This is normal, and there are ways to help alleviate it a bit. I sometimes use Irish Moss to help clear the beer before bottling. I've nto cold crashed, but it sounds like something I might try soon. Also, letting it settle for longer may help, and be careful when siphoning out of the fermenter.

Frankly, I don't worry about it. I don't mind some yeast in my bottles, and if I am giving it to someone else, I simply explain to them to watch out for the last bit if they don't want too much yeast in their glass.

If you actually filter it, you won't have yeast in the bottle to turn the priming sugar into carbonation.

a longer secondary helps, but if you prime, you will create some additional sediment (its the waste produced from fermenting the priming sugar).
as long as you pour into the glass in a controlled manner you shouldn't end up with yeast/sediment in the glass.

In the primary I put a green apple in it, I cut it in six part and remove the seeds. I have found that it really helps with sediments, I almost don't have any in my bottles.

Well I'm new to brewing and were I bought my equipement, the guy is supposed to be really good, and that was the main thing about making beer. I got to say that so far after 5 batch my beer is very good with almost no sediments in the bottle. I think that the apple absorbs the yeast or something I'm not quite sure. I will ask him next time. But for sure in the primary put in one green apple in there, cut in six pieces and remove the seeds. When you transfert to the secondary you remove the apple, you don't put it in the secondary.

Does your kit have two containers? If you arent using a bottling bucket or secondary, you will probably have a lot of sediment. Its pretty harmless, actually has lots of B vitamins from what I hear. Let it settle in your bottle and carefully pour your beers into a glass, leaving it behind.

Latest posts

Back