What do you eat while brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought of this while responding to the thread about brewing in groups or alone. Whenever I brew alone, I just grab whatever as the day goes on or my wife will bring me some fast food while she's out. I have one guy I've brewed with 3-4 times and we usually toss a pack of brats or sausage on the grill and keep it simple like that. Last weekend I brewed with two other guys. one was just watching to learn. The other guy and myself both had our most unorganized brew days to date, and after they left 6 hours later, I'd realized we never ate anything besides the sticky buns my wife made and brought us at around 11. I'm hoping to brew with these guys on a regular basis, but meal time needs to be a part of the brew day as well. So what do you guys all do for lunch while brewing? Particular your group brew days? Keep it simple with brats that you can hold in one hand, have big cookouts with all the sides and everything? Order Pizza to keep it simple?

I like to make a sandwich before I start the brew day OR I have my wife to cook for me. I never liked grilling at the same time as brewing it is just to much to keep track of.

I'm one of those people who literally forgets to eat. When I get busy doing something, I don't even think about food or get hungry.

Bob usually brings me a plate of something around noon if he's around.

I have a beer once the boil starts and the first hops go in. It's funny- I never forget to have a beer! :drunk:

Definitely a sandwich if its a double batch day. Other than that, I am putting fruit zest (orange, tangerine, grapefruit, etc) in almost all my beers so I have 5-6 zested fruits lying around. Funny, its probably the time I eat the best.

Interesting. I always picture the majority pulling out their grills and smokers and what not. I too start drinking once the boil starts. Never forget that part.

homebrewmike, mind sharing your pretzel recipe?

I prefer a plate of good cheese and crackers, some olives. Just something that I can pick up easily.

Now that my Electric setup is about finished, I'm picturing a nice Sous Vide steak in my mash tun :D Pull it out to put a quick sear on it while the wort comes to a boil :ban:

I generally don't eat while brewing. If I start earlier in the day I'll plan on eating after it's in the fermenter, if I get a late start I'll eat something before starting.

I have 3-4 guys I brew with regularly. If we brew at my house we always eat good, my wife can't stand to have people over and not feed them. Last brew day was carnitas tacos and fresh made salsa. If we brew elsewhere, we try to rotate who brings the main meal. Anywhere from Chili Colorado to pulled pork has been eaten at our brew days. Yep we're all fat.

I'm with the crowd that usually forgets to eat. If I'm having more than a few beers, I make sure I get a peanut butter sandwich or something in my stomach, but usually I just eat a big breakfast and a big dinner.

We usually order the Pizza Hut $10 pizza. I made chicken wings once and just had to take a picture of the kitchen when we were done. It was a disaster!!!

My typical brew days I'll start early in the morning, so right after I mash in I'll make some eggs or something for breakfast. Lunch will be a sandwich if I'm brewing solo. The 1 time I had a buddy come help I put him in charge of manning the grill so we could have brats with the brewing which made it that much better.

I go to my local indian market and pick up a batch of pani puri. Sometimes I'll cook up some bratwurst, but mostly it's pani puri.

I usually forget to eat. I have a beer during the boil (natural instinct). Then when I'm in the clean-up process, I usually realize I'm starving and I run to taco bell.

I usually forget to eat, but sometimes I put a rub on something and do a quick grill and eat during mash or boil, depending on if/when I remember to eat.

I usually have a beer or two every time though...

I always have a bowl of grits before I brew! It is quick, easy, filling, and does not leave a mess. :mug: .....after that, I crack open a beer.

I like to eat breakfast and then start brew day. I try and time things so that lunch time falls close to sach rest so that I can eat lunch while the mash is converting or lautering. After that I usally don't eat anything except snacks until after clean up is done. And most of you have better will power than me. I usually pour my first pint well before the boil.

I thought of this while responding to the thread about brewing in groups or alone. Whenever I brew alone, I just grab whatever as the day goes on or my wife will bring me some fast food while she's out. I have one guy I've brewed with 3-4 times and we usually toss a pack of brats or sausage on the grill and keep it simple like that. Last weekend I brewed with two other guys. one was just watching to learn. The other guy and myself both had our most unorganized brew days to date, and after they left 6 hours later, I'd realized we never ate anything besides the sticky buns my wife made and brought us at around 11. I'm hoping to brew with these guys on a regular basis, but meal time needs to be a part of the brew day as well. So what do you guys all do for lunch while brewing? Particular your group brew days? Keep it simple with brats that you can hold in one hand, have big cookouts with all the sides and everything? Order Pizza to keep it simple?

I've never been able to hold my brats in one hand. Too wiggly.

Usually my brewing partner provides finger foods while we are brewing, usually, some crackers, some sort of meat, and usually some good cheese. this last week it was deer salami with jalapeno's and cheddar, and some aged white cheddar.

I try not to drink until its boil time, but depending on how the day is going it sometimes happens sooner.

I generally try to start really early in the morning so once I get the mash doughed in, I make myself what I call brewers breakfast. Last time it was just bacon and eggs but I usually break out a pack of the breakfast sausage I made from wild hog and venison I shot in Texas and make biscuits and gravy. If its a long double brew day, I generally go with frozen pizza for lunch since its easy.

If I'm by myself I'll get a big breakfast burrito to tide me over until the fermenter's full and the kitchen's clean. A few beers during the process and I'm fine until dinner. If I'm with a group, it's usually at a friend's house who loves to BBQ so we'll get down on that during the festivities.

We usually make some homemade Italian beef sandwiches (we are in Chicago after all...) or throw some burgers/brats on the grill. There's something about meat, beer and fire that just seems right. :mug:

After dough in I get a sandwich at the deli when I go to the store for ice for my pre chiller. It works out great, takes about half an hour to run my earands then get back to heat up my sparge water. I have fired up the smoker on occasion to make dinner.

I prefer to brew early, like starting at 7AM or earlier so I have coffee. Normally do not eat until late afternoon after the brew is finished and the room and equipment are all cleaned and put away.

Edit: No brew until after all work is completed, I am too easily distracted and disoriented.

Brew with a buddy and it's beer time after dough in order pizza either after boil or between batches if double batch day

I'm one of those people who literally forgets to eat. When I get busy doing something, I don't even think about food or get hungry.

Bob usually brings me a plate of something around noon if he's around.

I have a beer once the boil starts and the first hops go in. It's funny- I never forget to have a beer! :drunk:

X2- except for the Bob bringing me a plate of something. That would be weird.

I'm usually starving at the end of a brew session. I keep a beer in my hand the entire time though. I usually end up drinking a pretty hot beer or two because I'll forget to drink.

Last night I brewed up an IPA in our kitchen. At the same time, I made a chicken pot pie...I was stunned at how well I was able to multi-task.

Im not a brewing eater.I like my coffee,although if i do early morning boil,ill scarf down a quick small bowl of cereal to keep me unirritated because the whole process is stimulating for me thanks to coffee too that im focused on brewing and timing.When i brew in the evenings i skip supper til im done then its kinda late so i eat something quick and focus more on sitting down with a few beers and comprehending the boil and all the cleanup i just finished.Although i like good food,im more of a eat to live person more than live to eat type.(More of a live for beer really latley)I focus more on whole raw foods-vegetables probiotics often,as a majority of intake especially when indulging in beer more its easier on the system and weight, the less your body has to work to digest helps.

I used to forget to eat and would suddenly be starving. I snack on Trader Joe's mac n cheese when the boil starts going now.

Back