How cold is too cold (to cold crash)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskiletta

Reaction score
So I have a beer lagering at 33F, and need to cold crash an English Bitter. Is it safe to cold crash it at 33F for a few days? Too cold?

Thanks!

Brewskiletta said:
So I have a beer lagering at 33F, and need to cold crash an English Bitter. Is it safe to cold crash it at 33F for a few days? Too cold?

Thanks!

Its safe if temps don't drop lower

Just to clarify something I should have mentioned. I need enough yeast left to bottle carbonate...

And the 33F is extremely stable. I've had my lager in it for nearly two months with no variance in temp.

Brewskiletta said:
Just to clarify something I should have mentioned. I need enough yeast left to bottle carbonate...

And the 33F is extremely stable. I've had my lager in it for nearly two months with no variance in temp.

You will inevitably transfer enough yeast to bottle condition. I purposely stick the siphon down into the bottom layer just to make sure. This doesn't defeat the purpose of cold crashing.

Back