Aging Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
Just curious, should beer be aged in a certain temperature range. I've been keeping my beer at about 72 degrees F during fermentation and for a couple weeks after bottling for carbination. But if I want to age the beer for a while, will it hurt if I put it in the garage where the temperature could get considerably warmer? Will it cause problems if temps get up to the upper 90's?

Also, I've been using and have been pleased with Brewers Best for extract kits. Are there any others that anyone would recommend over or along with BB? Thanks.

Aging beer is directly related to temperature. The higher the temp, the faster a beer will age. But anything over 85°F should be avoided. Transversely, the lower the temp, the slower a beer will age. Cellaring temps, 51-58°F, are best for ales especially for the long haul.

Wild

Northern Brewer sells kits, they come with Wyeast, but they don't come with bottle caps like the Brewers Best Kits. Of the two brands I think the NB is a little better simply because of the yeast.

Thanks Wild and Waldo for the advice on aging temps and extract kits. I'll be careful where I store my beer. I think I'll try to find that Northern Brewer brand. Of course I've been very pleased with BB, and hope to move on to AG some day.

-Matt

Over 85F your beer will go sour, keep it as cool as possible without freezing it. If it does go sour, boil a few pounds of blackberries & toss them in. People will taste the berry and think you planned the sour.

Another question about aging temps: Does it matter if the temps fluctuate much during aging assuming they stay below 85 F?

Since fermentation is an endothermic reaction, the wort temperature will increase regardless of the ambient temperature. It is always best to attempt a temperature range of 68-72°F although anything between 62-78°F should survive but keep in mind that the flavor profile will be affected.

Wild

Latest posts

Back