My list of beers found/tasted for Dec.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
So I live in a small town in Iowa, not exactly the beer-mecca of the world right. I just wanted to share this list with some knowledgeable folks who would appreciate what we go through here to get good beer. I live about an hour and half from Des Moines, in a town that drinks a LOT of Busch Light, but I also work in a Wine and Spirits dept. of a large grocery store chain i the Midwest, allowing me some freedom. My regular drinkers are: New Belgium Ranger, Lakefront IPA, New Belgium Belgo, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Rogue Brutal IPA and Boulevard IPA.

This is the list of things I have managed to acquire for drinking or stashing (some of both) this month: Rogue Yellow Snow IPA, Rogue Mogul Madness, Rouge Double Dead Guy 2010 and 2011, Sierra Nevada Celebration, Sierra Nevada Ovila Saison, Goose Island King Henry, GI Bourbon County Brand Stout, Surly Furious and Abrasive Ale, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard, New Glarus Spotted Cow and Smoked Rye Porter, most of the Bells brews including Expedition Stout and Java Stout, Founders bBeakfast Stout, DFH 90 min. and Worldwide Stout, Delirium Noel, Tremmons and Nocturnum, Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad, ODells IPA and Double IPA, Sierra Nevada Northern and Southern Hemisphere Hop Ales and Estate, Rogue XS Double India Pale Ale, Spelker Hopluia, and I think that is it..

Not bad for a town that does not have a bar that you can order an IPA at!

Also have some Old Rasputin, Acme IPA, GI Matilda, Perre Jaques and Sophie, Boulevard Dark Truth, Tank 7, Quad and Double Wide IIPA, Rogue GYO OREgasmic, Creek, Morrimotto Soba, Double Dead Guy, Double Mocha Porter, John John Dead Guy, and some other random beers on a regular basis.

Just Wanted to share my new and growing collection, hope more and better beers keep coming closer to me all the time, drink on friends and happy holidays!

I wouldn't recommend holding on to this IPAs too long, they aren't necessarily meant to age well ;)

Great collection! Where did you get Dogfish Head around here? Drive to Minnesota?

My favorite shops for beer selection around here are Beer Crazy in Urbandale and the mini Hy-Vee on University and 42nd. How about you?

I had a friend bring them back from Washington and the World Wide Stout cam from Illinois. I have never been to Beer Crazy, if you can believe that, but I have friends who bring me stuff from there all the time! I actually work for Hy-Vee, so I shop a lot of different ones when in DSM, the Hy-Vee in Pleasant Hill has a great selection, a little pricy though.

Is that chain Hy-Vee? I get most of my beer from them - they're headquartered up there, right? I was pleasantly surprised at the nice selection they carry. Have you tried Firestone-Walker Union Jack IPA? They started stocking it a while back - good shizzite, Maynard.

I know the hy-vee around me(Iowa City) has started carrying Schlafly and Peace Tree brews.:D:rockin:

Hy-Vee is the chain of grocery stores in the Midwest, headquarters are in Des Moines, Iowa. Distribution varies on the area the store is located in. i do not have access to the Firestone Walker, wish I did! I also can not get the Schlafly or Peace Tree, although I have tried some of their brews, the Schlafly APA is great and I love Peace Tree Concucopia too. A small tip for dealing with Hy-Vee's, ask for something, we try to accommodate our customers as much as possible!

@BrewMU can you do me a favor and ask the folks at your Hy-Vee who is distributing the Firestone Walker to them, I would love to get that for myself and my customers as well..

Back