Denny's bourbon vanilla imperial porter...oaked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguzz

Reaction score
I am going to brew an all grain batch of Denny's bourbon vanilla imperial porter. I'm going to use 2 vanilla beans and add some bourbon at bottling time.

I was thinking of using 2 ounces of medium toast american oak cubes. I'm starting to have second thoughts about the oak. I've only oaked an IPA with chips and that was a mistake for an IPA in my experience (I split the batch and the oaked batch had almost a wine like taste--put of place on an AIPA).

I also understand that when using cubes vs. chips, you usually need to let it age for a couple months? should I soak the cubes in bourbon for 2 weeks while it is in the primary and dump in the cubes/bourbon when I transfer to secondary after 2 weeks?

Anyone have any suggestions/experiences on oaking BVIP?

You can soak the cubes before adding them there is nothing wrong with that. You could even soak the cubes for a week or two and just use the oak infused bourbon when you bottle. Add the other half of bourbon and then add the infused bourbon until you get the tast you like. That way there is no chance of over oaking the beer.

Back