Lager chamber to Ale chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwain

Reaction score
OK, The a/c in my ale room went out. The temp. here in the hill country is still getting to the high 80/low 90 mark and I want to brew. Inside my ale room, I put a refrigerator and attached a chamber to it. I have been using it for a lager chamber. It has a plain old Johnson control unit on it. My question is this: If I set the control to 60F to ferment the ales, will the refrigerator be able to deal with this? The temp probe is in a bottle of water in the chamber section. It is very well insulated, and shouldn't need to kick on but a couple of times a day. I think this will be OK, but wanted to bounce it off of some of you. Let me know what you think - Dwain

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people do this with freezers, so your fridge should definitely be okay. The compressor is only going to come on for a little while, since 60 isn't really that cold compared to usual fridge temps.

You should be fine.

Back