Ranco not switching on or off.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
Tested my brutus 20 last night and it seems that the Ranco is not switching correctly. Atleast not that I can tell. Shouldn't you be able to hear the relay click when it turns the element on and off? When I look into the HLT looks like the Heatstick is still heating the water even after it is supposed to be turned off. I have my first brew on it tomorrow and want to make sure everything is working correctly.

Yes I see the indicator but does not click at all. Not even when I switch between heating and cooling mode... Not sure what happend. It turns on and I get a display with no errors so I don't think it's wired wrong.

Do I want the wire in Normally open, or normally closed? That might be my problem. I have it in normally open.

The element will still be hot and you'll still see bubbles for a while. There should be an indicator on the display saying if the relay is on or off.

I'll have to do that tonight. It seems to hold the temp I tell it to so maybe its just the residual heat of the element. Just thought I should be hearing the relay click on and off.

Ok looks like I did. When I rewired it however I get the same thing. I think I burned up the relay... Now what?

Back