I left oxiclean soaking too long in my fermenter bucket!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewN00b

Reaction score
So, long story short as the title reads I did leave the oxiclean in my buckets way too long, which has resulted in both of my fermenters unusable. There is a rough film coating the normally smooth plastic walls and bottom. Are these buckets salvageable in that I can remove the film, or has the oxyclean actually destroy my buckets?

I would rather spend the money on grains or some hops, ya know?

Could be mineral deposits try an acid rinse. Starsan works great. If you don't have that, vinegar will work.

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think oxyclean will pit plastic.

Could be mineral deposits try an acid rinse. Starsan works great. If you don't have that, vinegar will work.

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think oxyclean will pit plastic.

Do you have an idea of what kind of concentration I would use?

I use "Sun Oxygen Cleaner," the WalMart version of Oxy Clean and get the same thing on my bottles when I use it to clean them. Sometimes it happens, most of the time it doesn't.

To dissolve the film/deposits I use about a cup of white vinegar to 10-12 gallons hot water. The deposits are gone in about 1-3 hours. Don't waste your starsan on it if you can help it.

I've left Oxyclean for 2 days and not had a problem... yeah I kicked myself but I re-washed them from start to end in 60 min.... That included another 20 minute oxyclean soak. My buckets remain smooth as a babys butt.

I had the same issue pop up on me, though the pitting was not horrible. I went the vinegar route with 1/2 cup for my 6.5 gal fermenters. put it in, went to sleep and came back to a nice clean(but vinegary smelling) bucket.

thanks,

I spent hours scrubbing the bottom of my glass carboy, but there is still a circular ring around the bottom I can't seem to get.

I'll try the vinegar and see if that doesn't help.

thanks

Well, the vinegar worked miracles.
My brew is now racked in my shiny clean carboy for clearing.
thanks again,

P!p

Back