Using The Beer Gun to bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedeen

Reaction score
hey. question. Can i use the beer gun to bottle my brew for the long term or is it just for a quick transport?

here's the deal... i have a 13% RIS that will not carbonate. 6 weeks in bottle...and it's flat as can be. I'm thinking i killed all viable yeast cells when i got the ABV up so high... so do i...

1. open all bottles and pour into keg

2. purge beer and keg of O2 with CO2...

3. then bottle with a Beer Gun?

is that going to bring life back to the beer?

ALSO...

in the future... i plan to brew more high grav beers... will the beer gun bottling technique be a real way to bottle the beer for extended shelf life (1 month to a year)

thanks!

Scott.

Burnt Hickory Brewery

-What kind of priming sugar did you use?
-How much priming sugar did you use and for what size batch?
-Is it flat based on taste or lack of head?
-Have the bottles been sitting at room temp the entire 6 weeks?
-If you shake the crap out of a bottle does anything happen to the beer?

Unless you added some potassium carbonate and/or potassium metabisulfite the yeast is still alive. If you have them sitting in the fridge before they are carbonated they won't get carbonated, they need to be warm enough for the yeast to work. I have naturally carbed much higher abv than 13% so there is definitely something else going on here.

is it recomended to shake it? i figure that will mix captured o2 down into the beer? i primed it... (i'm pretty sure... that would be funny if i forgot..huh?... but i don't think so...)... it's been at room temp for the whole time it's been in the bottle...

i lost a ribbon in a regional HB contest cos it was flat. ugh!

anyway.... what about re-opening... kegging the flat...then sending it back to the bottle?

OR open....add the cheesy munton's carb drops? (i've heard they don't work.)

thanks!

-What kind of priming sugar did you use?
-How much priming sugar did you use and for what size batch?
-Is it flat based on taste or lack of head?

Corn Sugar.

1 cup for 6 gallons.

flat as in a small pop... some gas... then no head... no bubbles... FLAT>

Latest posts

Back