Splitting a batch with different additions into 1 gallon jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antheus

Reaction score
Hey all, I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but the prospect of brewing my first batch in a week has gotten me incredibly excited. I'm gonna keep it simple on the first one, but I can't help but think towards the future.

My question involves splitting a batch (i'll be brewing 5 gallon batches). I read in the techniques forum that it's not advisable to brew in 1 gallon batches because it makes your mistakes (and essentially everything you do) a lot less forgiving/amplified. A lot of recipes I've seen call for a fruit or other kinds of addition at flame out (i know this is often done in the secondary as well, but I would likely be brewing hefes and not using a secondary).

If I were to want to experiment with a bunch of different additions to a standard hefe, would it be possible to split the 5 gallon batch into 5 carlo rossi jugs with whatever addition I choose, and then pitch a bit of yeast from a starter into each?

There's four main methods that you could go about doing this...

1. Splitting the wort as you mentioned into 1 gallon batches and making your additions prior to pitching yeast (primary fermentation). Sometimes your additions will lose some of their aromatic qualities if added prior to pitching the yeast...the CO2 created by the yeast will in effect 'scrub' it away when escaping.

2. Doing as above, and then pitching your additions when primary fermentation begins to slow...this could be tricky with sanitation, but the alcohol present and quantity of viable yeast cells should be able to overcome any foreign beasties.

3. Allowing the entire batch to complete primary fermentation (anywhere from 5-14 days or more depending on the condition of the wort and health/quantity of yeast) and then racking into 1 gallon batches with your different additions....basically using your additions during a secondary fermentation. I personally believe that completing primary ferment altogether will create a more consistent 'base' sample to which you can add whatever you want.

4. Using some good brewing software, scale down your recipe to 1 gallon, be precise, and work clean!

Now that doesn't mean that there aren't other ways to do it, but these are the four most common approaches to splitting/creating a 'test batch' of wort.

If you are still fairly new to the hobby I would recommend (and you mentioned that you are just thinking ahead) that you make a whole batch without any additions, just a plain and simple beer. Your end result will give you a better idea of how additions (such as fruit) will change the result of your finished product.

It's definitely an advantage if you brew the basic recipe for your hef first. Knowing what your finished beer is suppose to taste like before any ingredient additions will be the best way for you to determine when and how much of what you want to add to it.

So you can in effect reduce your margin for error/amplified mistakes by reducing the risk of things that are within your control.

It's like having a jar of really nasty tasting pasta sauce. You can add all the herbs, cheese, olives, meat that you want... and it will still taste like a really bad pasta sauce....but with things in it.

Haha great post. That was very helpful, particularly the point about the CO2 scrubbing. I actually didn't think about just doing the whole batch in the primary and then moving it to a secondary but that does make a lot more sense. I wouldn't need to worry about underpitching the yeast, etc. I think I wanted to avoid the secondary to give a more traditional cloudy hefe appearance, but if it won't have much of an effect on the taste then I'll give it a shot when it comes time to brew it. Thanks!

If you think about it, you could swirl your hefe primary a bit before racking to secondary...that would put the yeast back into suspension...and if you racked on top of your additions (such as fruit) it would probably re-start your fermentation.

You could still end up with a nice cloudy hefe because of the active fermentation during secondary (fruit has got a ton of fermentable sugar).

My current batch of hefe is almost ready to drink and you've helped give me a great idea for the next few batches.

Happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back