Bluberry Hefe recepie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
:confused: I have seen a Blueberry Hefewizen recepie somewhere on these boards. Just looked through the recepie section saw a few references to it. I'm just curious on the quantity of blueberries to use. I'm thinking between 5 and 8 pounds. Just going to mash them up with a potato masher and add them as I take the wort off the heat. I can get 7 pound buckets of Light/Amber/Dark/Wheat malt extract at my LHBS for 16 bucks so 'till I am AG brewing that's what my budget dictates I buy. My recepie looks something like this.

7lbs Wheat Malt Extract
1oz Hallertau hops 4.1% @45 min
1oz Hallertau hops 4.1% @1 min
WYeast 1010 AM WHEAT
8lbs potato-masher'd-up fresh blueberries

I am thinking of making it a 6 gallon batch. I want to keep the IBU and ABV down a bit and makes for more beers in the fridge plus both of my carboys are 6.5 gallon. :D SWMBO picked 20 pounds of fresh blueberries today and asked if i wanted like half for a beer..... my jaw hit the floor....:ban: She HATES my hobby........ I'm confused... oh what the hell, I'll brew her a blueberry Hefewizen! Why not! :rockin: I plugged this recepie into tastybrew.com and got 15 IBU. Is that too much for a blueberry hefe? Should I not add any finishing hops? I'd imagine 1oz in 6 gallons with 8lbs of blueberries would be a good balance. Is 8 pounds of blueberries too much, too little or just right? I know it's all about personal preference but I don't want something so blueberry'ee that I can't chuga-lug it down but I also don't want a weak fruit flavor. Any Imput would be greatly appreciated. (Can't wait to make Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Vanilla Ale. That was next but the honeybunny wants blueberry anything to keep her happy and semi-interested in my hobby!)

Back