FINALLY got my second batch going...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennychico11

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I brewed Friday night and by Monday after work I still didn't have any fermentation...and gravity was still at the OG measurement. My first batch refused to take off too until I repitched. I don't know what in the world I'm doing wrong because I'm doing the exact same procedure when I repitch and it takes off the same night. Maybe I should just start buying two packages of yeast all the time :drunk:

One of the great things though was I put the primary in my bedroom closet and last night around 4am the bubbling of the airlock wakes both my girlfriend and I up and she goes, "our beer is fermenting." I smiled in satisfaction that she knew what the sound was :) The dog was growling at it in the middle of the night too....lol. He did not like that noise waking him up.

What temp is it where you are fermenting? A low temp can mean it takes a long time for fermentation to start.

Also, what temp is the wort when you initially pitch the yeast? Too high of a temperature can kill the yeasties (over 95 or so), and too low can mean a longer lag phase.

No problem to do a second pitch, it just seems too bad that you have to. Maybe next time wait as long as a week before repitching, making sure you pitch at a fine temperature (anything between 60 and 85 works, though you really want to keep it 60-70) and that the ambient temperature is in the high 60's low 70's.

I had the primary in the basement for a few hours the first day when I decided it was too cold down there (57F)...so I moved it upstairs to my bedroom closet. The temp upstairs varies between 61-68 during the day. The weather has been rather nice the past few days so I'm sure the average temp is probably 65 in the house. I made sure to cool the wort down to about 80 before we threw it in the primary and then topped off with water (which I'm sure cooled it even more).

I forgot to mention I know why I killed off the first batch...it was because I used too hot of water to rehydrate the yeast. So this time I made sure I got the water down to 100F but I still had problems with it starting. Maybe that was too hot still? This time I brought the temp down even further to about 90F and that seemed to work.

It's all a learning experience I guess. It's amazing how a few degrees can affects your brew.

Don't worry about rehydrating your yeast if your OG is 1.060 or less. It's a bit of an arbitrary number, but probably a safe one. I always pitch yeast dry and it starts just fine. One extra step I don't have to worry about :mug:

Good luck on your next brews. Every one is a learning experience.

Back