5L mini keg priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use them. I prime them with a 1/3 of the sugar I would use to bottle. I do use coppers drops. I use 3 for a liter bottle so a third would be 5 drops per mini keg. I recently had a mini keg bomb so I reduced to 4 drops per minikeg without any ill effects.

Do none of your guys' kegs come with a pressure relief valve????

Do none of your guys' kegs come with a pressure relief valve????

5L mini-kegs come in two styles.

The kind you buy at the store with beer in them are usually gravity feed, have a little spout like boxed wine on the bottom, and bung up top with a vent you can open to relieve pressure or to let air in so that the gravity feed works.

The other kind has no spout, and just a 2-piece bung in the top. You insert a dispensing apparatus through the bung, knocking the solid part into the beer.

5L mini-kegs come in two styles.

The kind you buy at the store with beer in them are usually gravity feed, have a little spout like boxed wine on the bottom, and bung up top with a vent you can open to relieve pressure or to let air in so that the gravity feed works.

The other kind has no spout, and just a 2-piece bung in the top. You insert a dispensing apparatus through the bung, knocking the solid part into the beer.

Oh, those mini kegs from the grocery store. Ok, I thought this was all about a "real" stainless steel mini keg, lol. :drunk:

5 liter mini kegs are a laquer coated interior can. They do not last very long. Take it from me...They are not worth the hassle and really a pain the ass. If you read the fine print you will see that it is recommended that you replace the kegs after 6 uses. At about $15 per 6 uses mini kegs are not very cost savy.

Priming minikegs

I used 6 off 5 litre kegs reused from purchased beer. The bungs came out ok and were also reused.

5 gallons of mild from a kit around 4.0%.

Wanted to test priming as minikegs are new to me. I have bottled beer for 45 years.

Tests were at 6, 9, 12, 12, 15g in the series of kegs put in to each before filling

... plus an odd 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar for the partial slops keg.

I am betting on 12g being right as I read that somewhere but that what this test is to determine.

Filled each to about an inch from the top. Then evened the fills to 5030 to 5033 grammes a keg (gross). An empty one weighs 568g, so a fill to about an inch from the top is about 4462g which is ~4.5 litres.

Slops was 4168g gross (so nearly full) but not part of the experiment for priming really. So I primed with a couple of teaspoons. Waste not want not...

Total nett beer kegged was 25921g.

Would be interested in how full you guys fill by weight or gap at the top. Is that called Headroom?

I will report the findings (subjectively) after drinking.

Back